Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just a quick question regarding my ATF.

I recently checked the ATF and found that the level was just above the curly on the dipstick, well below the cross-hatch area. I just want to double check that I read the level right.

- I drove the car around the neighborhood/local area until at normal operating temperature (temp gauge directly in the middle of c and h), parked the car, ran the shift lever through all gears, ending in park, left the car running, and checked.

This is correct, no?

However, in order to add fluid, due to the size of my funnel, I have to stop the car and remove the air filter housing. How much fluid should I add at a time? I'm a little nervous about adding too much in case I either overfill or that I'm reading the level wrong.

To be more direct:

Question 1: Am I reading the level right? :dunno:

Question 2: How much should I add at a time?

any other suggestions/help are much appreciated. Thanks!
:ford:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks. It ended up taking a quart and a half of Mercon V to get it within the cross-hatched area. It's been like this for a while... hope it didn't ruin anything... Sure shifts a hell of a lot smoother now though.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
You need to check tranny fluid level when the tranny fluid is up to operating temp, not when the engine coolant has just come up to normal temp. Driving a mile or 2 around the neighborhood is not enough to get tranny fluid anywhere near operating temp unless you live where the temp is 115 deg in the shade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts