Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching and found a 93 SHO ATX w/133,### miles on it in red by where I live. It had 900 obo on the For Sale sign, he would sell for 700 for me. So I met the guy, and it has the following quirks or problems.

- Motor mount is shot (I could tell by the scuff marks on the intake manifold looks pretty bad, also felt it on the test drive engine moves way to much, someone installed wrong mount he said, mount needs to be replaced ASAP)
- The battery is the wrong size (causing the hood not to close all the way in one spot, needs different battery for proper fitment)
- Check Engine Light on
- Sensor ontop of the intake manifold looks to have its wiring harness destroyed (looks to be maybe the dpfe sensor, he said he did it when he was installing engine himself)
- Check Oil Light on *not oil pressure* (could be another sensor or wiring that was destroyed)
- Speedo doesn't read smoothly it flutters? moves up and down maybe within 2mpg when accelerating.
- Steering pump is LOUD, and the steering seems like theres way too much assist in some spots and feels a little weird, might need pump or rack replacement?
- Driver door panel needs new clips

Now good things.. I think

- Installed an engine with 77,000 miles on it and now has put on about 6,000 miles, has a 2yr warranty, sounds good, smooth, and makes no unusual noises.
- Looks to have newer Continental Touring tires on it, good tread 70% life.
- Brakes seems fine rotors look good.
- Slicers look to be in great shape.
- Recently had new oem mufflers put on.
- Serviced transmission, and transmission shifted fine no hesitation at all.
- He might even give me the old engine, that he said he took out because it was ticking?

Somethings I forgot to do are..

-Check A/C
-Check Heat
-Check Trans Fluid

Whats your guys opinions on purchasing that car for 700 dollars?

Nick S.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Go for it...especially if ya get that spare engine...you can either use it for parts or restore it and have a spare engine in case the one in it craps out....I dont know very much about SHO's but that sounds like a good deal to me

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
http://shopower.com/

Look under 'SHO Information." Should give you plenty of tips. Is this going to be a daily driver?

Why was the old engine ticking?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This would become a daily driver, but more so a third car, and what I mean by that is when my dad gets his work truck taken away he will need a car to drive to work until they return it. So I would probably be driving the SHO.

The guy said the old engine was ticking because he "brought it to high in the rpms"

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would say if you have about $4000 to put into it, go for it. If you don't, you can find a decent gen2 for around $2-3000, maybe even a MTX car.
As for the old engine, It's limited to 7000 RPMs unless its chiped, which I doubt.
sounds like it was never serviced, so probably needs the valves adjusted.
My SHO has 162K and is very,very well maintained, and frequently sees 7500-7800 RPMs with no problems. Maintenence is a big part of a SHOs life and is vey expensive so if you buy one, be prepared to spend a lot of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts