Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I decided to replace the OEM motorcraft coil spring
in the rear, which gives ulgy saggy ass and poor cornering.

First question is where to buy the pinch bolt in case the
original one is rusted and snapped when knocked out?
Can I get it from parts store like AutoZone, and what're
the diameter and length?

Second question is how much torque is needed when mounting
the pinch bolt, and the strut top bolt, respectively?

Thanks

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Ive gotten the pinch bolts from advance auto before, but probably most parts stores carry them. Strut upper nut: 19 to 25 ft-lbs. Strut to spindle pinch bolt: 50 to 67 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Some on here recommend doing away with the pinch bolt and going with a 7/16in. grade#8 bolt with a plastic insert locking nut (ny-loc). Iirc, 2-3 in. long. Either way, apply anti-seize liberally. The only pinch bolt part# i have is Monroe AK50. Im sure you can find a cheaper one at most part stores. Just tell them the application. Good luck!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Soak the **** out of the pinch bolt with a good penetrating oil a few days in a row before you start the job. A little heat applied to the aluminum knuckle will cause it to expand (loosen up) faster than the steel bolt. Once the bolt starts to turn, you may have to work it (turn it back in a little for every few turns out) to clear the threads in the knuckle. Also spray it some more after it starts to turn. After you get it out, take a big flat blade screwdriver or drum brake tool and loosen up the pinch part of the joint. Take your time and you won't break the pinch bolt off in the knuckle.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Some on here recommend doing away with the pinch bolt and going with a 7/16in. grade#8 bolt with a plastic insert locking nut (ny-loc). Iirc, 2-3 in. long. Either way, apply anti-seize liberally. The only pinch bolt part# i have is Monroe AK50. Im sure you can find a cheaper one at most part stores. Just tell them the application. Good luck!
I'm pretty sure that was after they broke it off in the knuckle and had to drill the rest of it out, IIRC.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
No, Dan. Several on here recommend going with the 7/16 bolt whether the pinch bolt comes out or not. Claim its much easier to deal with if this road ever needs traveled again (Paul Nimz-shoz123).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just found out that both rear sprin broke on back 98 taurus. Any instruct on here where to start if never done before? Whats a pinch bolt and whats it's function. What special tools needed if any?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Defendantly go the quick struts (complete assembly)!

Also check out RockAuto.com prices for the quick struts.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Quickstruts are definately the way to go for easiest and cheapest.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Now someone on yahooanswers said I have to know a "Bolt loosing sequence" and that I shouldn't attempt if not a professional. Is it that bad?

·
Registered
833 Posts
What? No. Its a simple bolt in with the quickstruts. Bolt patterns are for things like tightenening head gaskets. All you need to remember is be careful with the pinch bolt. I used oxyacetelene torches and a breaker bar. Crack it loose, got back to tight, little more loose back to the right, more heat (heat on the bolt area only, not on the strut). After you get the sway bar links loose jack up on the bottom of the knuckle and use a bar to get the link out of the strut. Um, do that first. Get the link out before getting the pinch bolt out, then slide the knuckle off the strut (lube and hammer), then take the nuts off the strut mount. Have either someone holding the strut or set it on, not in, the knuckle so it doesn't just fall and catch the brake hose or something. Installation is opposite of removal. May not be found to be easy, but it's simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
took me longer to gain access to the top of the shock tower then installing the quick struts... :) 2001 Taurus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts