Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry guy's if this is in the wrong spot.
but on my mom sable i was wondering the top speed, i know it's not 85mph (maybe the 3.0's :) )
but i took it on the high way and decided to test her out.
the needle went past 85mph so i know it can go faster.

does anyone know the top speed of their sable.

BTW, my mom's is a 1991 3.8L with the sho auto tranny.

J

·
0 Posts
I think the governor on the SLOs are all at 112. :) ... and the 3.0L Vulcan is good for it. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
112 on a 3.8 damn all that power but you can only go about 112, damn my honda goes faster.

okay but does it matter if she has the sho auto tranny or not?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh well, just a question.
i figured that it's ford , they would'nt limit it to 112, i though maybe 125mph.
umm now anther stupid question WHHHHYYYYY????
it seem's weird though . . . .

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by sable-gs@Aug 17 2004, 09:11 PM
oh well, just a question.
i figured that it's ford , they would'nt limit it to 112, i though maybe 125mph.
umm now anther stupid question WHHHHYYYYY????
it seem's weird though . . . .
To keep youngsters like yourself alive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea . . . .
well its a big car, i feel more safe in it than my dad nissan.
i did have a chance to keep it but i went with a honda instead.
the sable good, new engine and tranny. . .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay now my friend has a 93 taurus 3.0.
once i raced him in my honda and beat him, then he said that he got a speeding ticket, the cop said he was doing 123mph.
that's kinda hard to belive now, since my mom has a 3.8 and can only go 112mph compared to his 3.0 which could probably go faster?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
NO way he way going 123 unless he has the speed limiter removed from his ECU. The only way to do that would be to get a custom chip. Call his :bs:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm . . . i knew it!
a 3.0 can't have a higer speed than a 3.8.
trust me he knows nothing about cars.
the dude could'nt find his brake fluid cover.
i explained it to him over the phone he still could'nt find it, then i though the previous owner must've lost it, i go to his house to do his brake's and there it was right there as plain as day. LOL.

it was funny he would make fun of my other car and then say his could beat it, i showed him.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by sable-gs@Aug 21 2004, 04:00 PM
hmmm . . . i knew it!
the dude could'nt find his brake fluid cover.
i explained it to him over the phone he still could'nt find it, then i though the previous owner must've lost it, i go to his house to do his brake's and there it was right there as plain as day. LOL.

it was funny he would make fun of my other car and then say his could beat it, i showed him.
hmmm . . . i knew it!
A tec would :spanking: the hell out of a 3.8. So would a GI or MTX GII SHO. They are both 3.0s
seems he isnt the only one, :slap:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm talking about a stock 3.0.
you should really read, cause in my previous post, i said he wanted to race me his taurus against my honda and i beat him.

of course i know that the sho 3.0 can beat a 3.8, so quit busting my ball's.
and i do have knowledge on car's, allright.
i've worked on plenty of car's not not f&*k anything up!
you really should think about s&^% that you type!!

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Play nice guys, no more of that crap or this thread is history :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I assume he's saying that a 3.0 L Vulcan is slower than a 3.8 L Essex. The Essex has nothing on a Duratec 3.0 L or a Yamaha SHO 3.0.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Top speed is usually limited due to the tires they put on the car as an OEM item. 112 sounds like an S rated tire. If they put a tire on it with a higher speed rating, it would probably cost more and when you're talking 100,000+ cars, those bean counters really start to add up the numbers. Besides, why would you want to go faster than 112 in a family car? There's really no marketing reason to have it go faster and for liability purposes they limit the top speed. You can probably thank some lawyers for that.

Oh, and keep your speed down, about 40% of people 18-25 will get into an accident and a serious percentage of those are fatal.

As for that 123 number from a cop, hard to say. Just keep in mind that they said Rodney King was doing 100+ in his Hyundai that had a top speed of about 93mph. (He's the one the cops pulled over and beat and it was all caught on video.)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i under stand that.
it's just see, ford is like one of the car company that know's about power and stuff, i figured since it's a 3.8 which is like one of the powerful engines they'll give it a lil more speed, i mean look at gm and honda, they make family car and the speed is'nt limited that much.

i know for a fact that the sho 3.0 's are faster than the 3.8's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You get caught doing anything over a hundred on public streets and 99% of the time you go straight to jail. Ask him where they kept him, no cop in his right mind is going to let someone who he caught doing 123 mph get back on the road. Ask him howcome he doesn't have his license revoked, too. I don't see Ford as a car company with a 'powerful' image, many times Honda engines of the same displacement will have more power, but I always think of Dodge when I think of 'muscle.' Magnum, Viper, SRT4, their trucks in general...

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Well my Buick Regal is a 3.8 Supercharged and limited at 108. Wait nevermind who wants old people driving fast. :p

Actually its probably because the tires aren't rated that fast and are more for a smooth, Buick ride.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Coyote-X@Aug 22 2004, 03:31 PM
You get caught doing anything over a hundred on public streets and 99% of the time you go straight to jail. Ask him where they kept him, no cop in his right mind is going to let someone who he caught doing 123 mph get back on the road. Ask him howcome he doesn't have his license revoked, too. I don't see Ford as a car company with a 'powerful' image, many times Honda engines of the same displacement will have more power, but I always think of Dodge when I think of 'muscle.' Magnum, Viper, SRT4, their trucks in general...
I got clocked at 122MPH last month at 3am in the morning. Trooper let me drive it home.
I'll let you know if the judge lets me keep my license or not. Probably not. :(
But let's give it up for me beating that 1%!! :banana:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts