Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your Taurus feel different when you have more than 2 passengers? I mostly drive by myself, occasionally with my girlfriend and its fine. As soon as I get one more passenger, its a whole different car. It feels sluggish, it handles differently and tranny is working 'harder" , God forbid 5 people in my car, it would feel like boat on a high sea. There is nothing wrong with it and its been like this since I got it ( I have it since 03') :glare:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, add more weight and the car has to work harder to move. Depending on the weight of your friends that might be more or less. :p
Race teams change brackets on the the cars to shave a few ounces off. I don't think we will be racing the old GL with a boatload of friends anytime soon! :lol2:

I worry about my tranny everytime I put the car in gear, these transmissions can be, how should I say it, unreliable by design. :noes:

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yes, you can definitely feel a difference based on how many people are in the car. The best thing you can do to combat that is to make sure the engine is kept properly tuned. The more power you produce, the less you will notice.

On the transmission, if you are worried about it, get a shift kit installed. The transmissions are fine, but with a few aftermarket upgrade parts they can be excellent. Other brands are no more reliable than the Taurus. The Toyota and Hondas might have a better trans, but the bodies of both are prone to rusting from the inside, where as I don't see many Taurus with much rust.

A Taurus trans that has been upgraded can hold up better than an import trans, while still costing you thousands less on the car.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
More passengers = hauling more weight, especially noticeable with a Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
My car is pathetically slow when there's 3 or more people. Especially considering all of the **** I have in my trunk, mostly detailing stuff and other assorted crap that I have nowhere to store in my house.

I had my aunts '07 Chevy Impala for the better part of the past week and the 3.5 in that car had GOBS of power regardless of how many people were in it, and it returns similar MPG around town and MUCH better on the highway. I'm definitely considering an 06'+ Impala on my list of cars now. In the same price range you could also find some earlier Ford Five Hundreds, but I'm not too fond of the 3.0 'Tec + CVT combo honestly.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've noticed that with one passenger it's still nice and peppy, but add a 2nd passenger and it gets sluggish. three passengers is just slowww... and four passengers is like why even drive.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
This is why I bought a car with a 350... I had two passengers inside and a complete big-block engine in the trunk and the car barely felt it. :grin2:

After I sold my wagon I got the opportunity to ride in it again... we had 6 or 7 people in it and it definitely felt it. I told the new owner he probably shouldn't do that again for the transmission's sake, it felt a bit displeased having to haul around that much weight. Come to think of it, we were probably really close to the GVWR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts