Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, so i have an opportunity to buy an sho for 500 bucks,
its got every option other than leather. its a 5 speed.
red with grey interior, and EATC!

it sounds great but...

it has an oil leak, this has me worried. basically what im looking for here is some reassurance that it could be fixed.

and also it needs some clutch work and im wondering what i would need really (like to get the car up and everything) and about how much money (around how much) it would probably cost me?

guys i just need to know whether or not to do this cause ive got a 95 sable that i can use for my dd and take care of the sho and work on it till it is road worthy. I've got a job now where i'll make about 4-500 bucks a week and my living expenses are taken care of.

and i really, i mean REALLY wanna join the sho owners club. lol
thanks guys/

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Wanna own a SHO? Main thing, how good are you with a wrench?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 17 2009, 11:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725978
Wanna own a SHO? Main thing, how good are you with a wrench?[/b]
^ I've had a probe which i did almost all the work on other than a new muffler, and my sable i've done suspension, water pump, alt., belts, brakes, lights, radiator, thermostat. and i've had little nitro r/c cars that ive worked on for quite a while too. so i've got a grip on a wrench pretty well.
oh and i forgot to mention its got 143k for mileage.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
1. What is your level of mechanical ability?
2. Do you have somewhere where you can work on the car?
3. Can you afford the parts? (they're not as cheap as parts for your Sable, trust me.)

At the very least, the car is going to need an upper and a front 60k service. Also, rod bearings are strongly recommended, as they are the one weak point on these engines many are finding as these cars are hitting the 20 year mark.

The clutch is going to set you back at least $400 for a quality clutch kit, and the requisite flywheel resurface. New axle seals while the trans is out is a good idea also.

A $500 SHO is probably going to need a lot of other work too, like new struts, probably brakes too.

$500 might seem like a steal, but be forewarned, you may be in for a lot more than you bargained for in the end.

All that said... if you do get the car, you'll be hooked by 3950RPM. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Racer X @ May 17 2009, 11:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725982
3. Can you afford the parts? (they're not as cheap as parts for your Sable, trust me.)

At the very least, the car is going to need an upper and a front 60k service. Also, rod bearings are strongly recommended, as they are the one weak point on these engines many are finding as these cars are hitting the 20 year mark.

The clutch is going to set you back at least $400 for a quality clutch kit, and the requisite flywheel resurface. New axle seals while the trans is out is a good idea also.

A $500 SHO is probably going to need a lot of other work too, like new struts, probably brakes too.

$500 might seem like a steal, but be forewarned, you may be in for a lot more than you bargained for in the end.

All that said... if you do get the car, you'll be hooked by 3950RPM. :)[/b]
mechanical ability id say is decent, i have a driveway to work on the car. I've got a steady income for the next few months at least. and im willing to give it what it needs as i want a project car and this would be perfect. It would really be a weekend cruiser, so i wouldnt really rack up that many miles.
and this clutch kit says it fits the sho?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-TREDEX-...A1%7C240%3A1318

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
A clutch job with cost of clutch can cost $800-$1k.

Any oil leak can be fixed just a matter of how much and what. You didn't say where or what.

All SHO's have EATC its standard.

You can check out SHO Source for parts and what not.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
QUOTE (MikeG95 @ May 18 2009, 12:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725988

mechanical ability id say is decent, i have a driveway to work on the car. I've got a steady income for the next few months at least. and im willing to give it what it needs as i want a project car and this would be perfect. It would really be a weekend cruiser, so i wouldnt really rack up that many miles.
[/b][/quote]

NO STAY AWAY!!!!

Stay away from those crap 9.25 clutches!!! They will not last the are junk.

You need 9.75.

We have several otpion on SHO SOurce and we are working on a stock option.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (LOUDSHO92 @ May 18 2009, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725990

[/b][/quote]

NO STAY AWAY!!!!

You need 9.75.

[/b][/quote]

ok cool. thanks man. and yeah i'd like to just keep it basic with the clutch, nothing crazy really (yet)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
QUOTE (MikeG95 @ May 18 2009, 12:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725992
QUOTE (LOUDSHO92 @ May 18 2009, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725990

[/b][/quote]

NO STAY AWAY!!!!

You need 9.75.

[/b][/quote]

ok cool. thanks man. and yeah i'd like to just keep it basic with the clutch, nothing crazy really (yet)
[/b][/quote]

I would recommend a stage 1 clutch as they have larger and improved straps which last much longer over stock. They are a weak point.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
:werd: It's worth it to spring for a quality clutch - it's not something I'd want to skimp on. Pay now or pay later doing it again...it's worth the extra cost to not have to buy the good one soon after and tear it apart again :)

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-TREDEX-...A1%7C240%3A1318[/b]

QUOTE (LOUDSHO92 @ May 18 2009, 12:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725989
A clutch job with cost of clutch can cost $800-$1k.

Any oil leak can be fixed just a matter of how much and what. You didn't say where or what.

All SHO's have EATC its standard.

You can check out SHO Source for parts and what not.[/b]
Man, stay far, FAR away from those clutches. I swear, it's like there was a fire sale on those 9.25's, all these guys bought them, and are just now realizing that they got fleeced with a bunch of clutches that only fit 1 model year of the SHO, not including the cars that got the flywheel recall done! :lol:

And I didn't realize the price of clutches had gone up so much. The DIY price for clutch replacement is $500, sorry about that. Taking it somewhere to get done will be $800 - $1000, like LoudSHO said.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (MikeG95 @ May 17 2009, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725976
ok guys, so i have an opportunity to buy an sho for 500 bucks,
its got every option other than leather. its a 5 speed.
red with grey interior, and EATC!

it sounds great but...

it has an oil leak, this has me worried. basically what im looking for here is some reassurance that it could be fixed.

and also it needs some clutch work and im wondering what i would need really (like to get the car up and everything) and about how much money (around how much) it would probably cost me?

guys i just need to know whether or not to do this cause ive got a 95 sable that i can use for my dd and take care of the sho and work on it till it is road worthy. I've got a job now where i'll make about 4-500 bucks a week and my living expenses are taken care of.

and i really, i mean REALLY wanna join the sho owners club. lol
thanks guys/[/b]
Any oil leak can be fixed it's just a matter of time and money.
The clutch? Depends on what is wrong with it. At most a new trans is going to be a couple grand.
Never owned a SHO but from reading here and the SHO club, it's not out of the question to plan on spending a couple grand on other things.
Worst case, $5k to get it road worthy and several long weekends of your time.

I'd do it if, I was single and well employed.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Where is it leaking oil from?

With the SHO, as with any car really, it's a lot of "do it while you are there" when replacing things.

FWIW, I bought my 95 for about 1,500.00. I have since put in about 2500 in new parts and upgrades for "While I was there" things. I am not done yet. A big chunk of this, of course, was the fact that the car has Konis/Intrax ... which I hate. Wheels and tires alon were also about 1K when all was said and done

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Depends, are you willing to spend at least $2k AFTER the initial $500 and countless hours fixing **** that you didnt know was broken before?

If you answered yes to both of these, get it, if you answered no to either of these, dont get it.

:thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry to mention this guys but i will not be buying an sho.
im re-entering the probe world with a 93 pgt. I'll still be around here every now and then for the sable issues. ive got pics of the new car if you'd like

1 - 17 of 17 Posts