Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 SES with 155,000 miles still has the original waterpump. Coolant has been flushed routinely since new and have not experienced any issues with pump or temperature. I don't want to do the job, but seeing that winter is coming, should I be proactive and replace or wait until I actually have a problem? I don't know how long the original pumps can last so any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife's van has 277,000 miles on the original water pump. We've owned it since new and I've flushed the coolant every 30,000 miles. Fresh coolant is the secret to longevity, and since you've been keeping up with this maintenance item, I wouldn't change the pump if there are no adverse symptoms. Our van is a Toyota Sienna but surely the Taurus is just as reliable if properly maintained. :usa:

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
I'll be replacing mine today. And it's only $30 for the cheap one at AutoZone
Dont go for lowest price (i.e., lowest quality) on something as important as a water pump. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remove accessory belt and check water pump pulley for a free play.
If there is no free play, there is no coolant seepage from control hole and there is no unusual sound, don't replace it.
Remember, original parts usually are better that any aftermarket. Also remember that water pumps usually don't die at once, so if you check it on regular basis, you will know when it really needs replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I had no connection for a few days. I will check for free play and see what happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll be replacing mine soon, after all the gunk I saw come out of my heater core that led me to my final decision. If you do replace yours before me post what guide you used if any. I think I saw one where you can get to the water pump from the wheel well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts