Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping mother with her car. There seems to be smoking or atleast it seems like it early in the morning. It has like 120K miles on it. It is a 1996 Taurus. I was going to put some Oil Treatment Additive with the Oil because the thing burns oil.

I got this product from off line.
"CD-2 Oil Treatment: Helps Stop oil burning"

I was wondering how you add this stuff to the engine? Do I just dump this in with 4 qts of oil or with 3 qts of oil?

Thanks for the help.


I am not very familiar with Taurus Engines so I do not want to screw anything up for her.


-SVT-
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by SVTCobra2003@Dec 15 2003, 08:19 PM
I was helping mother with her car. There seems to be smoking or atleast it seems like it early in the morning. It has like 120K miles on it. It is a 1996 Taurus. I was going to put some Oil Treatment Additive with the Oil because the thing burns oil.

I got this product from off line.
"CD-2 Oil Treatment: Helps Stop oil burning"

I was wondering how you add this stuff to the engine? Do I just dump this in with 4 qts of oil or with 3 qts of oil?

Thanks for the help.


I am not very familiar with Taurus Engines so I do not want to screw anything up for her.


-SVT-
ok, i guess no body knows....thanks anyway!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
is that a vulcan?
Does the oil level go down drastically.? Anyleaks from any of the gaskets visible?

Guess oyu should get a compression test done. Have u pulled the plugs and check to see if they are fouled?
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by sundarpn@Dec 15 2003, 08:51 PM
is that a vulcan?
Does the oil level go down drastically.? Anyleaks from any of the gaskets visible?

Guess oyu should get a compression test done. Have u pulled the plugs and check to see if they are fouled?
honestly, i dont know.

I told her to get a new Car (in a nice way.....i am concerned that this car will leave her stranded somewhere)

Possibly a Toyota Camry or an Accord which has a better reliability record than the Taurus.

I will try an figure out what is going on with the engine. I am not sure what engine it is...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
569 Posts
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Dec 15 2003, 09:04 PM
Hey

Who Bombed Pearl Harbor?! The Japeneese...

Dont support the Japeneese, what have they done for us besides kill some innocent people!

Stupid Ricers....
Most ignorant post ever. Of course, you COULD be joking, but the mods won't care






I put some CD-2 stuff in my girlfriends explorer that has 140k; it was gulping oil at a quart a week. After the oil change and with a bottle of the stuff, it's gone 2 weeks on the same amount of oil
I would try it.


You could also flush the engine with Berrymans, although they don't recommend it if the engine hasn't been taken care of; you make the call. It could help.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Dec 15 2003, 09:04 PM
Hey

Who Bombed Pearl Harbor?! The Japeneese...

Dont support the Japeneese, what have they done for us besides kill some innocent people!

Stupid Ricers....
huh?

ok, i am sure they are still not hold those hostile feelings against us. get over it, it was a long time ago. seriously
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Dec 15 2003, 09:04 PM
Hey
Stick with the AMERICAN!

Stupid Ricers....


*edited for the smilie*
lol, but again you are from SAN ANTONIO...some HARD CORE AMERICANS Down there.

YOU HATE THE RICERS DONT YOU....well i have news for you, burnt an EVO last week and I am VERY PROUD OF IT......fool thought he can take on the Cobra .....better think twice before picking fights....

ALSO ABOUT SAN ANTONIO.....SPURS ARE GOING DOWN

but i love the RIVER WALK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
Word of advice...don't come on a Taurus board and say you would rather an Accord or Camry. I'm not saying the Taurus is always a better car, but you have to realize that 120K miles is a LOT for any car. My friend's Infiniti just blew its motor at 100K miles. Plenty of Toyota V-6s have sludged themselves to death way before even hitting 6 digit mileage and Toyota denied the problem for over a year.

Smoke can really be just about anything. What color smoke is it? I had smoke from my car once, but that was becase I spilled some oil on the manifold...oops.


The two Taurus motors that car would have (Assuming it isn't a SHO) is going to be a Vulcan or Duratec. Both are 3.0 V-6s. The Duratec should say Duratec on the valve cover and will have 24V symbols on the side of the car. I believe Duratecs begin to burn oil around 100K miles depending upon maintenance of the car. Oil burning still isn't normal, but you don't need to sell the car because of it.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by biteableniles+Dec 15 2003, 09:06 PM-->QUOTE (biteableniles @ Dec 15 2003, 09:06 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-FatTortoise
@Dec 15 2003, 09:04 PM
Hey

Who Bombed Pearl Harbor?! The Japeneese...

Dont support the Japeneese, what have they done for us besides kill some innocent people!

Stupid Ricers....
Most ignorant post ever. Of course, you COULD be joking, but the mods won't care






I put some CD-2 stuff in my girlfriends explorer that has 140k; it was gulping oil at a quart a week. After the oil change and with a bottle of the stuff, it's gone 2 weeks on the same amount of oil
I would try it.


You could also flush the engine with Berrymans, although they don't recommend it if the engine hasn't been taken care of; you make the call. It could help. [/b]
wait, do I put the CD-2 stuff with the normal load of OIL of do I have to drain some oil out to put this stuff?

Because wouldn't it flood the engine if I were to add this stuff with the normal load?

4 QT is the normal load i think according to the ford booklet.

Just wondering.....
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Majisto@Dec 15 2003, 09:27 PM
Word of advice...don't come on a Taurus board and say you would rather an Accord or Camry. I'm not saying the Taurus is always a better car, but you have to realize that 120K miles is a LOT for any car. My friend's Infiniti just blew its motor at 100K miles. Plenty of Toyota V-6s have sludged themselves to death way before even hitting 6 digit mileage and Toyota denied the problem for over a year.

Smoke can really be just about anything. What color smoke is it? I had smoke from my car once, but that was becase I spilled some oil on the manifold...oops.
ok ok, TAURUS is a bettter car...there are you happy?

Anyway, the "smoke" is like grey. Not Black (Kiss of death smoke)

At first I thought it was water but i no longer think so.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Majisto@Dec 15 2003, 09:27 PM
Word of advice...don't come on a Taurus board and say you would rather an Accord or Camry. I'm not saying the Taurus is always a better car, but you have to realize that 120K miles is a LOT for any car. My friend's Infiniti just blew its motor at 100K miles. Plenty of Toyota V-6s have sludged themselves to death way before even hitting 6 digit mileage and Toyota denied the problem for over a year.

Smoke can really be just about anything. What color smoke is it? I had smoke from my car once, but that was becase I spilled some oil on the manifold...oops.


The two Taurus motors that car would have (Assuming it isn't a SHO) is going to be a Vulcan or Duratec. Both are 3.0 V-6s. The Duratec should say Duratec on the valve cover and will have 24V symbols on the side of the car. I believe Duratecs begin to burn oil around 100K miles depending upon maintenance of the car. Oil burning still isn't normal, but you don't need to sell the car because of it.
oh..ok....thanks man. i will look into that.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Majisto@Dec 15 2003, 09:27 PM
Word of advice...don't come on a Taurus board and say you would rather an Accord or Camry. I'm not saying the Taurus is always a better car, but you have to realize that 120K miles is a LOT for any car. My friend's Infiniti just blew its motor at 100K miles. Plenty of Toyota V-6s have sludged themselves to death way before even hitting 6 digit mileage and Toyota denied the problem for over a year.

Smoke can really be just about anything. What color smoke is it? I had smoke from my car once, but that was becase I spilled some oil on the manifold...oops.


The two Taurus motors that car would have (Assuming it isn't a SHO) is going to be a Vulcan or Duratec. Both are 3.0 V-6s. The Duratec should say Duratec on the valve cover and will have 24V symbols on the side of the car. I believe Duratecs begin to burn oil around 100K miles depending upon maintenance of the car. Oil burning still isn't normal, but you don't need to sell the car because of it.
<<The two Taurus motors that car would have (Assuming it isn't a SHO) is going to be a Vulcan or Duratec>>>



LOL ....mother in a SHO....i can only Imagine.....lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by SVTCobra2003+Dec 15 2003, 09:30 PM-->QUOTE (SVTCobra2003 @ Dec 15 2003, 09:30 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Majisto
@Dec 15 2003, 09:27 PM
Word of advice...don't come on a Taurus board and say you would rather an Accord or Camry.  I'm not saying the Taurus is always a better car, but you have to realize that 120K miles is a LOT for any car.  My friend's Infiniti just blew its motor at 100K miles.  Plenty of Toyota V-6s have sludged themselves to death way before even hitting 6 digit mileage and Toyota denied the problem for over a year. 

Smoke can really be just about anything.  What color smoke is it?  I had smoke from my car once, but that was becase I spilled some oil on the manifold...oops. 
ok ok, TAURUS is a bettter car...there are you happy?

Anyway, the "smoke" is like grey. Not Black (Kiss of death smoke)

At first I thought it was water but i no longer think so. [/b]
You don't have to say the Taurus is better, just not come on here and down it...either way, white smoke is usually water. Blue smoke I believe is oil. I see old Chryslers all over the place with blue smoke coming out the tailpipes and it seems to usually be a blown head gasket.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Majisto+Dec 15 2003, 09:39 PM-->QUOTE (Majisto @ Dec 15 2003, 09:39 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 09:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Majisto
@Dec 15 2003, 09:27 PM
Word of advice...don't come on a Taurus board and say you would rather an Accord or Camry.  I'm not saying the Taurus is always a better car, but you have to realize that 120K miles is a LOT for any car.  My friend's Infiniti just blew its motor at 100K miles.  Plenty of Toyota V-6s have sludged themselves to death way before even hitting 6 digit mileage and Toyota denied the problem for over a year. 

Smoke can really be just about anything.  What color smoke is it?  I had smoke from my car once, but that was becase I spilled some oil on the manifold...oops. 

ok ok, TAURUS is a bettter car...there are you happy?

Anyway, the "smoke" is like grey. Not Black (Kiss of death smoke)

At first I thought it was water but i no longer think so.
You don't have to say the Taurus is better, just not come on here and down it...either way, white smoke is usually water. Blue smoke I believe is oil. I see old Chryslers all over the place with blue smoke coming out the tailpipes and it seems to usually be a blown head gasket. [/b]
uhhhh.....i dont remembering downgrading a taurus. i was only telling or posting that toyota had a better reliability RECORD than a taurus; which is the truth according to the numbers and not my personal opinion.


But Taurus does have a better SAFETY record than Toyota or atleast that is what i read.


anyway, just drop it man, it is not worth the arguement. sorry if you are offended by my statement.

Later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Actually, the Chryslers with the blue smoke is usually the valve guides going bad in the Mitusbishi 3.0 engines- very common. As for SVTCobra's mom's car- try using some Auto-RX. Seems like the guys who use it on the 'bob is the oil guy' message forum have great success in stopping oil consumption, smoking and seal leakage. Go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and click on the Forums section and search for Auto-RX in the 'Additives, Fuel, Oil, Cleaners' section. I personally have not used this product but I myself would not hesitate to try it. Yes, it is a little pricey at $24 a bottle but as I stated before there's quite a few people who have used it and say it works.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by road_rascal@Dec 15 2003, 10:02 PM
Actually, the Chryslers with the blue smoke is usually the valve guides going bad in the Mitusbishi 3.0 engines- very common. As for SVTCobra's mom's car- try using some Auto-RX. Seems like the guys who use it on the 'bob is the oil guy' message forum have great success in stopping oil consumption, smoking and seal leakage. Go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and click on the Forums section and search for Auto-RX in the 'Additives, Fuel, Oil, Cleaners' section. I personally have not used this product but I myself would not hesitate to try it. Yes, it is a little pricey at $24 a bottle but as I stated before there's quite a few people who have used it and say it works.
thanks man. Appreciate the advice. My only question is do i have to change the entire oil or just add this stuff on the oil i have right now. I think mother changed oil 3 weeks ago. that is why i asked.

Thanks for all the advice.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'd really like to know which motor you have. If it is the duratec, please post your build date. Ford ESP replaced my duratec motor due to excessive oil consumption.

BTW, I second your suggestion of telling your mom to get a newer car. Nothing beats a nice fresh suspension, body, motor, etc... Definitly look at the accord and camry. The camry's are like Jr. Lexus with quality, nvh, and features. Honda accords are loaded with many features and has a great 240hp v6. I would definitly look at one of these cars before looking at the taurus.


To all of you import haters & Taurus Nazi's
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Dec 15 2003, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I'd really like to know which motor you have. If it is the duratec, please post your build date. Ford ESP replaced my duratec motor due to excessive oil consumption.

BTW, I second your suggestion of telling your mom to get a newer car. Nothing beats a nice fresh suspension, body, motor, etc... Definitly look at the accord and camry. The camry's are like Jr. Lexus with quality, nvh, and features. Honda accords are loaded with many features and has a great 240hp v6. I would definitly look at one of these cars before looking at the taurus.


To all of you import haters & Taurus Nazi's
LOL....ok will do

careful though, you might get burned on your taurus "downgrading" suggestion.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by SVTCobra2003@Dec 15 2003, 07:11 PM
thanks man. Appreciate the advice. My only question is do i have to change the entire oil or just add this stuff on the oil i have right now. I think mother changed oil 3 weeks ago. that is why i asked.

Thanks for all the advice.
You add this to your oil and replace the oil and filter after 500 miles.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top