Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99SE with the Vulcan under the hood. Its got a column shifter and the door tag shows an X under TR which from what I've found is the AX4N tranny which is supposedly on the duratecs. Any idea if this is normal? Any good or bad to having this tranny with a vulcan? I also noticed my speedo goes to 120. The car is original from Utah and had the high altitude package installed.

I can hopefully get more details this weekend when I get the car up on a lift at my brother in laws bay at the ford house.

Its got 69k miles and I'm changing out the tranny fluid this weekend with some AAMCO Mercon V stuff. I've also got a Hayden 403 tranny cooler to try and get installed this weekend too.

So far I can't imagine owning another car other than a bull. I'm definately a converted former honda owner.

I'm already planning a window tint and a flowmaster 40 series as soon as the budget allows. Thanks again guys for a great site and resource for Taurus owners.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Welcome!

That is actually a fairly common combo for the 99'. The reason why is, Ford was trying to get rid of all the parts to upgrade the line for the Gen 4. Some cars didn't get some options they would have "usually" had, and others got more then they "usually" got. The AX4N is the stronger of the two trannys. There is really no problems with it being mated to the Vulcan. The only negative comment overall that I have heard about the AX4N is that since its an unsynchronized tranny it shifts a little slower then the synchronized yet weaker AX4S. I'm sure a performance chip could strengthen those shifts up if you were looking for something to do so. All the speedo's for the 99' if im not mistaken were 120mph speedos in increments of 20.

I'm curious as to whether you have rear disc or drum brakes. I was able to get disc brakes in the rear of my 98' SE. Also what does the "High Altitude" Package consist of?

Good idea with the trans fluid change and install of the trans fluid cooler. Heat is what kills these trannys.

Hope you enjoy your stay here! It's a nice warm and inviting family, and place to be.

-Nick Saturday

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the high altitude package was. I know the car has ABS and rear drums. No spoiler or dual exhaust. It was a keyless entry delete and has the factory alloy wheels but I'm not sure they look like the others I've seen of that year. I'm also flushing the cooling system while I have it on the rack and at a dealership. I'll see if my brother in law can get any more info. He's a mechanic at a local ford house so I would think someone might have some idea but then again this is Texas and I doubt any original Texas cars had a high alt package. I'll try and snap some better pics soon. So far all I have is the one from the auto trader ad thats in my garage. I've got the original window sticker if any of that info will help. Its also seems to be a color combo I havent seen many off. Its Pacific Green I believe with tan cloth interior.

I do wish it had a factory cd changer but I'll either pick one up second hand or try and get an aftermarket mp3 changer that will interface with the stock head unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts