Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Im new here and had a question for all you Taurus guru's.. I just bought a 03' SES and read in a review that standard on all SES's is the Duratec motor? Is that true? It does seem peppy for 155 hp.. and everyone talks of the lacking power of the vulcan. But the motor does not say duratec.. or have anything written on it like the 01 my buddy has. So, I wasnt sure what I had..

Here's the clip of the article I read: SES is a popular choice and comes in standard and deluxe variations. SES adds an in-dash single CD player, front bucket seats with six-way power and a manual lumbar adjustment on the driver's side. Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes are standard. Also standard is Ford's Duratec V6, a more sophisticated engine with double overhead cams working 24 valves. This engine also displaces 3.0 liters,

Thanks for any help.. The car not having the markings.. makes me wonder was there an exception to this rule?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,401 Posts
Duratec was on option on SES. If you don't have the badge, you have the vulcan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DAMN!! Well, it was worth an ask!!
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I love my vulcan! I think it is a very good engine, IMHO - it carries the car very well. It's only 155 HP (186 torque), but it sure seems like more - the Duratec is 200 HP (200 torque). That article doesn't seem too accurate. It says that 4 wheel disc brakes are standard on the SES, which isn't true, the only Gen 4 with 4 wheel disc are the wagons. Anyways... welcome to the Taurus Addicts club, I mean Taurus Car Club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know.. The web is a headache sometimes!! haha!! I knew the 24 DOHC emblem was on the others I looked at.. but then it threw me off when it said.. all 3.0 SES have the new motor.. made me think they changed the layout or the valve covers. Oh well.. Ill just install a sneaky pete NOS setup for the extra 50 Hp!


I only buy Fords.. so this is a slight change from my 88 Stang I had and the 96 Ranger.. Much more luxury.. Though I miss the power of the 5.0.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GhostRyder@Feb 24 2004, 10:09 AM
I know.. The web is a headache sometimes!! haha!! I knew the 24 DOHC emblem was on the others I looked at.. but then it threw me off when it said.. all 3.0 SES have the new motor.. made me think they changed the layout or the valve covers. Oh well.. Ill just install a sneaky pete NOS setup for the extra 50 Hp!


I only buy Fords.. so this is a slight change from my 88 Stang I had and the 96 Ranger.. Much more luxury.. Though I miss the power of the 5.0.
Yeah, the 5.0 is a great engine. My aunt has a T-Bird with one and that thing just screams, it's probably the fastest car I've ever driven. She bought it used and whoever had it before her did some performance stuff to it, and it seems like they did a nice job with it.

Anyways, that's all I will buy, too is Fords - nice to have another hardcore Ford person on board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool!! I agree we need more die hards out there!! Stop the import craze in its tracks!!
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GhostRyder@Feb 24 2004, 10:15 AM
Very cool!! I agree we need more die hards out there!! Stop the import craze in its tracks!!
I'm with you 100%
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GhostRyder@Feb 24 2004, 07:15 AM
Very cool!! I agree we need more die hards out there!! Stop the import craze in its tracks!!
Was a diehard 2 years ago, now not for obvious reasons


Congrats on the new car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
What kind of Explorer is that 2nd Gen? Do you have the OHV/SOHC Cologne or 302 motor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Explorer has the 4.0 litre in it.. A lil underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.. and the gas mileage is terrible.. But the truck is strong and reliable!

P.S. XLSuburu.. Why the change or manufacturers.. just curious.


Quote of the day:

Out of work, drive an import - Thank Yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by GhostRyder@Feb 24 2004, 01:34 PM
The Explorer has the 4.0 litre in it.. A lil underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.. and the gas mileage is terrible.. But the truck is strong and reliable!

P.S. XLSuburu.. Why the change or manufacturers.. just curious.


Quote of the day:

Out of work, drive an import - Thank Yourself.
Ah, you must have the OHV 4.0.
Darn, was hoping there was another Explorer owner with an SOHC motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
While I really like my SEL, it's my first Ford.

I am *not* a diehard, andI won't own another car whose A/T won't let me manually select 2nd gear. Years ago, Ford A/Ts had a peculiarity-- something about not shifting up or down out of 2nd when manually selected. I think. I could be wrong on that.

After winning the lottery, my very next care *would* be a Ford-- a Ford GT. Followed closely by a few other of my favorite vehicles. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I would like to see another 50HP and 50lbs/ft of torque out of that 24V, but I can live without it.

I guess.

If I *have* to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the warm welcome all.. I tell you this.. It is one quiet car.. Thats for sure! FireSpirit.. I know what ya mean.. when you compare to other rides.. My stang was like the milenium falcon.. made alot of noise.. but once the car kicked in.. hold on! I was thinking of an Intrepid for a while.. But had to stay Blue Oval.. Even though the project car is non Ford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by RAMdrd@Feb 24 2004, 03:01 PM
While I really like my SEL, it's my first Ford.

I am *not* a diehard, andI won't own another car whose A/T won't let me manually select 2nd gear. Years ago, Ford A/Ts had a peculiarity-- something about not shifting up or down out of 2nd when manually selected. I think. I could be wrong on that.

After winning the lottery, my very next care *would* be a Ford-- a Ford GT. Followed closely by a few other of my favorite vehicles. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I would like to see another 50HP and 50lbs/ft of torque out of that 24V, but I can live without it.

I guess.

If I *have* to.
The transmission is not supposed to shift out of 2nd when you select "2". That's the entire point of it (I have 1, 2 in my Explorer) is so that you can launch the vehicle in 2nd gear to help reduce wheelspin, and it prevents upshifting because you want to use it to descend hills to aid you in slowing down.

Just place it in "1" on the Taurus. There is no problem with going down in 1st gear. Honestly, the brakes on the Taurus are quite good anyway. Shouldn't have to use the automatic kick down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Capital Punishment!! Just by your sig alone.. We would get along very well!!

Here's a good quote for ya, you probably have seen..

KEEP WORKING.. Millions on welfare are depending on YOU!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Originally posted by GhostRyder@Feb 24 2004, 11:54 PM
Capital Punishment!! Just by your sig alone.. We would get along very well!!

Here's a good quote for ya, you probably have seen..

KEEP WORKING.. Millions on welfare are depending on YOU!!
Hahaha....thats good then.


Ive heard that quote too. Shame.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top