Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
Got a call from my daughter who was stranded on the highway when her 2000 Taurus stalled. I got there and it was overheated. When I tried to turn it over, starter just spun but did not engage flywheel. Towed it in to a nearby service station and they determined that the engine was toast. They said it's gurgling through the overflow tank and there is no compression. I asked if it could just be a head gasket, and they said no, the engine will need to be replaced. It did turn over normally after cooling down, but will not start because there is no compression. This is a really clean car that I just got for her 6 months ago, so I hate to salvage it, but don't want to open up a can of worms replacing the engine, and then who knows what. I found a local guy that will install a 3.0 with 87K for 1,000.00 dollars. My question.....could it be just a head gasket? Is there any way to find out for sure? I looked at the oil and it looked clean.(no coolant in crankcase) She still owes 1,700.00 on this car, so I'm at a loss as to what we can do. Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

TIA

Danno

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Stuck Rings

Hey Gang,
Got a call from my daughter who was stranded on the highway when her 2000 Taurus stalled. I got there and it was overheated. When I tried to turn it over, starter just spun but did not engage flywheel. Towed it in to a nearby service station and they determined that the engine was toast. They said it's gurgling through the overflow tank and there is no compression. I asked if it could just be a head gasket, and they said no, the engine will need to be replaced. It did turn over normally after cooling down, but will not start because there is no compression. This is a really clean car that I just got for her 6 months ago, so I hate to salvage it, but don't want to open up a can of worms replacing the engine, and then who knows what. I found a local guy that will install a 3.0 with 87K for 1,000.00 dollars. My question.....could it be just a head gasket? Is there any way to find out for sure? I looked at the oil and it looked clean.(no coolant in crankcase) She still owes 1,700.00 on this car, so I'm at a loss as to what we can do. Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

TIA

Danno
I saw this one time. Was '77 Chevy 305. Hose broke and got hot. Station put on hose, and water. No compression. I took a squirt oil can and put oil in each spark plug hole, re-did plugs. Had the owner crank it, and I held the throttle pumping it and it started and in a few seconds it got to running ok. Had to hold the throttle way open to keep it running at first. Stuck rings.

BUT. always hate the "but".

Got it half mile to this guys house and water was running out the exhaust.

Terminal.

-chart-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts