Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody over on another forum is asking about swapping a 3.0 Duratec into a Ranger (that I presume presently has the Vulcan). This question has been discussed there before, and it ended up going nowhere.

My question: The claim by a user there (post: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/duratec-v6-30.184333/post-1704501) is that without changing the transmission, it can't be done. In the topic a couple of months back, I said that in the Taurus, both engines can be mated to both transaxles, so it should be doable to mate a Duratec to any Ranger transmission that a Vulcan can mate to, which was vehemently disputed.

So, here's the question: I know full well that the AX4S and AX4N will both mate to the Vulcan, because both transmissions have been mated to a Vulcan in the Taurus. If I recall correctly from researching the last time, the AX4S and AX4N are also both mated to a Duratec in the Taurus. So, if it's not possible, how did Ford accomplish it?

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
The A4XS was never used with the Duratec.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The A4XS was never used with the Duratec.
Fair enough. I thought I'd read that in the encyclopedia, but I could be wrong. My memory is shot.

The AX4N was used with both the Vulcan and the Duratec, though, right? So, if the people on that other forum are right, how did Ford manage to get the AX4N to mate to a Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
3.0 Vulcan used both transmissions, my '99 wagon has the AX4N and the '99 sable has the AX4N.
The bell housing is the same so it bolts up, the transmission is different as well as the half shafts.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

the ultimate question is are the bell housing patterns the same between the duratec and Vulcan?
answer: NO! you can make a family of transmissions with different bell housings.

worse yet, how are you going to control a duratec in a Ranger without doing a custom PCM??

Some engine platforms also have different versions for FWD and RWD that may have different
block castings as well as different head gaskets and such. I know a longtime ago when i had a s10
with a bad 2.2 , i was looking to see if i could put a cavalier motor into it (FWD 2.2 into a RWD).
turns our the head gaskets were different to control water flow and some of the other plumbing
was different. Ended up abandoning the project and selling the truck as is.

Morel of the story: what you think is the same may not be.
do your research and ask LOTS of questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts