Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am in the process of replacing the steering geer on my 2000 taurus. seems easy enough already got tie rods off and fittings off the geer box and disconnected from the steering wheel and just ran out of time today working on it but my repair book that covers 97 - 05 taurus' says that I will need to support the car with jack stands on the subframe behind the heavier duty engine cradle, then using floor jacks support the engine cradle disconnect it and lower it 4 inches. seems like i have enough room thru the top to disconnect everything I dont know about how the other part comes out of the firewall yet. Does anyone know if that part of lowering the engine cradel is really needed or can I get away with replacing it without having to lower the engine cradle

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (wildbilld @ May 26 2009, 05:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728067
Hello everyone I am in the process of replacing the steering geer on my 2000 taurus. seems easy enough already got tie rods off and fittings off the geer box and disconnected from the steering wheel and just ran out of time today working on it but my repair book that covers 97 - 05 taurus' says that I will need to support the car with jack stands on the subframe behind the heavier duty engine cradle, then using floor jacks support the engine cradle disconnect it and lower it 4 inches. seems like i have enough room thru the top to disconnect everything I dont know about how the other part comes out of the firewall yet. Does anyone know if that part of lowering the engine cradel is really needed or can I get away with replacing it without having to lower the engine cradle[/b]
you have to lower the back of the cradle.. when you do that the top of the rack ( the part that goes through the firewaLL) will be out of the firewall and then you can pull it out the drivers side

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not enough time today to fully complete the job but, yes I did have to lower the rear cradle about 2 inches to get the gear box in and out. Only one thing I wish the manual told you how the bolts were held on to the unit. Had a hell of a time trying to figure that out. Finally just had my father hold down the gear box into the car with a long 2 x 4 and then hit the bolts up from the bottom a few times and popped right out. Based on when the manual said and what I read online made it seem like they should just come out easily once the locking nut was removed, took me like 30 mins to figure that out lol. But new one is in just need to finish tigtening things up and fill/bleed the system and then back to the road Thank You

1 - 3 of 3 Posts