Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I did a search, but really didn't find anything. I was wondering if the Ranger vulcan engine is the same one as the Taurus one besides the mounts and all...I found something interesting and I was wondering if the intake manifold of a Ranger would bolt up to a Taurus. I know that the intake manifold goes down the backside of the engine...just wondering if it would bolt up without any modifications. The reason I ask is because Whipple just made a supercharger for the Ranger. I know a guy who does custom welding and fabrication. If the intake manifolds are the same...then I could assume that it would bolt up to the supercharger. I would have to do some custom work to the upper intake manifold, but that could be done. I know that clearance issues will have to be addressed, but I just thinking right now...Also, I have to find a aftermarket chip that will control this badboy or I will have to go with a Haltech or Motec...Any thoughts?

B

·
0 Posts
They are the same, however I'm not sure if the Whipple would bolt up without modification. The belts and all may be in different locations, as well as the orientation of the intake.

The bolt pattern is the same though, meaning that they have the same lower intake. As far as the upper intake, the Whipple kit eliminates it, so no worries there. I'm a fabricator also, and was toying with the idea of making an upper intake that would allow me to bolt on a supercharger, like an M90 from a Supercoupe, or one of the newer Eatons found on the GTP's. Hasn't come to life yet, but it's still in the plans eventually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
Well, once I have the money...I'll buy one just to see how it all goes. Right now I think I am going to design this all in AutoCAD. Maybe everything will work out. Whipple does offer custom snouts for their SC, but I am still wondering about the belt configuration...some thinking is required!! Hmm..We'll see.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by chococat1079@Feb 10 2004, 11:36 AM
Bob,
Well, once I have the money...I'll buy one just to see how it all goes. Right now I think I am going to design this all in AutoCAD. Maybe everything will work out. Whipple does offer custom snouts for their SC, but I am still wondering about the belt configuration...some thinking is required!! Hmm..We'll see.
Keep us informed, I'm very interested in what you come up with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see a pretty big problem with it. The Ranger 3.0L pulley is 3.38 inches long and the belt rides near the front lip of that 3.38 inches making it about 3.25 inches from the harmonic balancer face to the front edge of the belt. The taurus pulley runs the belt face edge about .8 inches from the balancer face. I can do the formal math if you really need to know the exact amount of the difference.
Other than the belt issue, the intake can be fabbed pretty easily but i'm not sure if the supercharger would be in the wrong spot for the FWD set up.
I don't have pics of the whipple unit yet but this guy did it himself. Rougeperformancesupercharger

·
Registered
57 Posts
As of now the Whipple is only designed for 02-04 Rangers. It isn't really even out yet. Only one guy has one. That's Doug904 over at Ranger Power Sports. He got one on a '98 Ranger but it required quite a bit of custom stuff including a custom computer reflash that required a personal visit for the Whipple techs. You'll probably have to wait for some other companys to get some experience with these and then it might be possible to alter them. Part of the kit include a new air intake which I'm sure wouldn't work so you would be paying $3000 for some stuff you wouldn't even be using.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts