Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know nothing about audio.. :p

My friend Anna has a 97 Sable GS, it came with a factory alarm... but everything else is bare bones... She wants to have a CD player/Changer in there.. but her h/u doesn't have the buttons for a CD changer.. I have access to a 96 Taurus GL with the CD changer button as well as the rcu in the trunk. If I got those out of the Taurus and put them into the sable, would it work? She already has the money to buy a CD changer, because she only wants to play CD's, she doesnt wanna upgrade the h/u.

Thanks! B)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the 96-97 stereos are the same, but I'm not positive. I don't think you'd have to change the RCU. Look them both over and see if there's a port to plug in a changer. If hers already has the port, you should just change the face.

Is your friend planning on buying the changer from Ford? If she is, it would be a lot cheaper to just replace the factory radio with an aftermarket CD player, and the stereo would sound better. If she has a CD burner, she could get an mp3 CD player, and put about 9 CD's worth of music onto one burned disc. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
This is the arrangement in the Gen 4 cars: One of the harnesses is unplugged from the RCU and the harness that comes with the changer is plugged in between the cable from the head unit and the RCU. Then a second cable connects the changer to the RCU. The only Gen 3 car (a 99 Sable) I have looked at has the same arrangement.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was thinking that since the h/u in her sable didn't come with the CD changer button, that the RCU wouldn't have the outputs for it either. But I'll check. I know that I have the capability of putting the CD Changer in my car, since I have the button for it; I'm just too cheap right now.

And she already has bought the OEM cd changer for her car from crutchfield for like $200 or something like that.

She doesn't want to upgrade the h/u because she's not into that kind of stuff. She just wants to play cd's on her way to school and college next year.

I was just wondering in order to let her have the ability of the CD changer she bought (came with factory wiring), would I have to change the h/u AND the RCU? But I never thought to look at her RCU... :lol: I'll have to check that when I see her again.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
There should be two rectangular receptacles side by side. One will have the plug coming from the head unit harness, the other open where the changer cable plugs in.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
FYI--96/97 (not sure about 98, and I know 99 wont work) faceplates w/manual HVAC controls are interchangeable. Just swap. The Sable your working on has a RCU in the trunk already. Once you have the new HU plugged in, and you have the CD changer plugged in, you are good to go. Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Sep 14 2004, 06:32 PM
I know the RCU is in the trunk of every taurus/sable.. and that the headunits/faceplates are interchangeable... That's a given.. but I don't know if all the RCUs came with the CD changer output, that's really what I'm asking.
Except G1/G2 where the head unit is up front like a normal radio. ;)

Eh, I've got nothing to add, just felt like being a nitpicker. :p

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Qwertz9586+Sep 14 2004, 08:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Sep 14 2004, 08:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Sep 14 2004, 06:32 PM
I know the RCU is in the trunk of every taurus/sable.. and that the headunits/faceplates are interchangeable... That's a given.. but I don't know if all the RCUs came with the CD changer output, that's really what I'm asking.
Except G1/G2 where the head unit is up front like a normal radio. ;)

Eh, I've got nothing to add, just felt like being a nitpicker. :p [/b][/quote]
:lol: That's why the weirdo antenna is in the FRONT of the g1/2's windshield. Wierdos! :p

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Sep 14 2004, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Sable's RCU is compatible with a changer since it was a factory option, and I don't think Ford would build a different RCU for cars without changers. I took the factory changer out of my gen 3 and connected it in my mom's gen 4 easily.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I should have just gone in back to look, but she's in school when I'm out of school and out of school when I'm in school... and I'm wary of letting her take my car for the day... because she just doesn't know how to treat my baby :p

The next time I'll see her is after I go to the junkyard, so I was trying to see if I should just get the RCU just in case.. or not bother with it.

But since you put it that way, blue, It makes sense.. why would ford make 2 different RCU's... but then again.. why would they make 2 different headunits as well?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The RCU is the same no worries. Just hook it up and your good to go. Lets see some pics of the Sable too! B)

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
If you need an RCU with the disc changer button on it I still have the one I took out of my car. You can have it if you need it, I have no use for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts