Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to learn this Taurus that I bought 4 months ago, and I have a question. It is a '99 with the 3.0 ohv engine. Both the owner's manual and a Haynes manual say that the oil capacity with a filter change is 4 1/2 quarts. When I put that much in, though, the oil is at the very bottom of the hashed marked area of the dipstick. When I add another half quart, it brings it up to a little above halfway on the hashed marks. That would seem to mean that this car is taking 5 1/2 quarts to bring it to the top of the acceptable line on the dipstick. I like to keep my cars full, but I don't want to overfill either. So, can somebody tell me what's going on? How much do you use in your Taurus's? Did they put larger oil pans on any of them? Should I suspect that this is not the correct dip stick? What? Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've got a '00 with Vulcan engine and have always used 5qt for oil change which puts it right at the top of the fill mark.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree. I have a vulcan and dohc--oil capacity is not what manual says. They know that. Maybe they put it as a safeguard thinking everyone, just about, checks oil at different times: after running immediatedly, 5 mins. after turning off engine, next morning prior to driving. Maybe, just maybe they did a concenus. And yes, they could have specified the an exact manner. Hell-o

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
My 2 G4 Tecs are at the max fill line when 6 quarts are added as specified in the manual, and my G2 Vulcan is at the max fill line when 4.5 quarts are added, as specified in the manual. Oil level is checked on a level surface after the car has sat for several hours.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Here's a wierd fact, my 03 manual says the my 03 tec takes 5 1/2 quarts.

My 04 manual says our 04 tec takes 6 quarts!! :lol2:

My mom's 00 vulcan takes a bit over 5 quarts.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Oil and Filt

I recall my Taurus needing around half a litre after adding a 5L jug. It's annoying, they should make 5.5L oil jugs.
I do not think the dipstick & pan are all that repeatable. I put 6 in my DOHC and it was about an inch over max. For my other DOHC '03 which I will do this week, I will put in 5 and for my Lin Cont today I just put in 5. May add some later if it gets down to add, checked warm and on level ground. (very level).

And one caution, or REMINDER.

Be sure the old filter gasket comes off.

Mine with Motorcraft filter on the Lin did not today. No big deal unless you forget to look.:p

I buy my oil in 5Q jugs and use he old jug for the used oil to take to recycling.

And maybe I am the only one old enough to remember or have one, but I have a Prestone yellow funnel made for quart round containers and sized for radiator opening. It is perfect for oil in the engine opening. I wrap it in a paper towel and keep it in a zip-lock bag for keeping it clean. :rolleyes2:

-chart-

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Chart, when you put 6 qts. in your dohc (tec) and it was an inch over max, was it checked before starting and priming (filling) the filter. Tell the truth, lol! Or did you miscount and throw in 7 qts., lol??? Or maybe forgot to change the filter? Chart, youre not partially prefilling the new filter prior installation are you? Hard to do on a tec.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I do not think the dipstick & pan are all that repeatable. I put 6 in my DOHC and it was about an inch over max. For my other DOHC '03 which I will do this week, I will put in 5 and for my Lin Cont today I just put in 5. May add some later if it gets down to add, checked warm and on level ground. (very level).

Mine with Motorcraft filter on the Lin did not today. No big deal unless you forget to look.:p

I buy my oil in 5Q jugs and use he old jug for the used oil to take to recycling.

And maybe I am the only one old enough to remember or have one, but I have a Prestone yellow funnel made for quart round containers and sized for radiator opening. It is perfect for oil in the engine opening. I wrap it in a paper towel and keep it in a zip-lock bag for keeping it clean. :rolleyes2:

-chart-
These days, I just buy 20L buckets. I need to get rid of some waste fluid, I have like over 30 gallons stored (old oil, antifreeze and mixed). :(

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts

-chart-
I remember those funnels. I just use the long trans funnel for everything.
Wiping clean oil on the new filters gasket before installing is not only for easy installation and keeping the gasket in place but also so it doesn't stick to the housing on removal.
The habit of wiping clean the gasket surface before installing the new filter also serves as a check for the old gasket sticking on.
That's a throwback to my gas station training in the '70's

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
filter gasket

I remember those funnels. I just use the long trans funnel for everything.
Wiping clean oil on the new filters gasket before installing is not only for easy installation and keeping the gasket in place but also so it doesn't stick to the housing on removal.
The habit of wiping clean the gasket surface before installing the new filter also serves as a check for the old gasket sticking on.
That's a throwback to my gas station training in the '70's
I follow the rules, oil the gasket before install.
But even though, sometimes it does not come off with the filter.
I always wipe the mate surface with a clean cloth. Always a chance for dirt, and to be sure the gasket is not there.

I knew a guy who changed oil and double gasketed due to inattention. He got to a gas station and noticed oil under his car. He had the station remove it and fix it.

-chart-

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for your responses. I'll inch the oil on up to full over the next few days and consider that what I'll need in the future. On this car, it looks like it will be about five and a quarter to a five and a third quarts. I appreciate your time in responding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't inch the oil up. See if the dipstick tube bracket is bent. If so, put the proper amount of oil in and adjust the dipstick tube bracket until the full mark is reached. I had same problem and that is what dealer mechanic (who I trusted) did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts