Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 taurus se with a vulcan which I bought in March of this year. Well I recently just change the O&F in it. Before this the odometer or rather the milage log would read 18-19 avg. MPG. But now it reads 20+ I am running Pennzoil hi milage 5W20 in it, what the prev owner used is unknown by me. Do anyone have any insight into how accurate these MPG calculaters are or how they function?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Fairly accurate long term. To get a meaningful average MPG, let it run for at least 500 miles of your typical driving style. The "average" MPG displayed over 50 miles is nearly meaningless. Example: The gas station I usually go to is about 3 miles from my house, mostly all down a gradual slope to my house. If I reset it pulling out of the gas station, by the time I get home, the display will show 40+ MPG. Leaving it average for 500+ miles, it will stabilize around 25 summer, 22 winter for my type of driving.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fairly accurate long term. To get a meaningful average MPG, let it run for at least 500 miles of your typical driving style. The "average" MPG displayed over 50 miles is nearly meaningless. Example: The gas station I usually go to is about 3 miles from my house, mostly all down a gradual slope to my house. If I reset it pulling out of the gas station, by the time I get home, the display will show 40+ MPG. Leaving it average for 500+ miles, it will stabilize around 25 summer, 22 winter for my type of driving.
Thanks for the info Jeff I forget to mention that earlier this week we drove from Columbus,Ohio to Dearborn Mich and back a total of around 420 miles all hiway I suppose in light of what you said this could have some influence on the MPG rating. P.S. the trip included 4 adults.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts