Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every body; I have a quick question; I am working a trade with another member and got a Gen4 CD Changer, I have a gen3 and was under the impression that the gen3 & gen4 could be interchanged but when I plug the gen 4 changer I got a no cd in my dysplay and it sounds like the changer is looking for a disc but it keeps doing it until I turn off the radio, plus it doesn't eject the changer magazine.
So my questions is if the changer could be bad or the changer is good but the wiring between gen3 and gen4 are different.
Thank you for any imput.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I'm not sure really, but if you need a gen3 dics changer, i have one i could sell you!
PM me if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the offer but I don't need a gen 3 changer (I have one myself) the only reason I wanted the gen4 changer is because is smaller and I have an alpine in the center console but wanted to fit the gen4 in the same place.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Hey shomex, have you made sure the cd's are facing the correct way? Are you running a mach or jbl rcu? if so which gen?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a mach rcu, but the problem is that I can't even make the changer to eject the magazine; as soon as I plug the changer it does start making a sound like its looking or trying to load a cd but that's it, it doesnt even eject the magazine. :(

Like I said before I was under the impression that the changers should interchange and it shouldn't matter if I have a Mach or JBL RCU (I have interchanged changers from a gen3 with mach and JBL rcu's with no problems)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Have you tried using different CD changer cables?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cables are good; I can plug any gen3 changer and it works without issues; like I said I just need a confirmation if the gen3 & gen4 Changers interchange; if they do then the changer is bad but I need a confirmation.

Thank you for any input on this.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it is! :( I just test it saturday and havent been able to make it work. Did you test it before sending it?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Thought so, I checked that cd changer before it was packaged to insure it worked also I needed to get the cd's out of the cartridge b/c I had tested it for a few weeks to make sure it was good. It worked perfect for me, switched through all of the cd's i gave you the right cables you would need from the gen4 taurus it came with.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If this helps, I am using the changer that came in my Gen4 with a Gen3 harness purchased from Shomex his own self! Thanx again for the JBL system!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I remember firespirit posting something about using a 98 changer in her 96/7...or maybe coneynew, I forget....they had a wiring issue of sorts with the changer.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I wanted to follow up with everyone about this. I finally got the oem 6 discCD changer back from Shomex today. After inspecting the unit while plugged into my bull, I saw one of the 6 white disc trays had come out not allowing the changer to eject the magazine. All that needed to be done was to pop it back in. As soon as I did this, I hit the eject button and the cd magazine came right out. Working perfectly again. This must have happened during the shipping process.

Lesson to be learned here and note to others when shipping a cd changer, make sure the cd magazine is out and packed separately!!!!!! Crisis averted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts