Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a quick question. I was researching online as to whether or not using a higher gas octane gives your car better acceleration. I couldn't find any concrete information, just that if your car has a "knock sensor" in the engine, higher octane levels will give you better acceleration.
I have a 2001 SE Vulcan.
My Questions Are:

1. Does my car contain a kock sensor?
2. Ford recomends using Regular 87 octane gasoline in my car. Will using an octane of 91 or 93 hurt my engine?
3. Will using a gas octane of 91 or 93 give my car better accelleration?

I appreciate your responses and your time!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Use 87.

Your car is designed to run on 87.

Octane rating is not a rating of quality, it is simply the ability of gasoline to resist detonation.

So, lower octane burns faster and cooler, while higher octane burns slower and hotter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
first off, Higher octane will NOT give you higher acceleration...It's a myth that has been around for a long time. Higher octane levels just make sure that higher compression engines won't Detonate or "Ping". Pinning is when the fuel\air mix detonates to soon. Second, your car does have a knock sensor. It helps the ECU figure out how much fuel to add the the mix. Last, higher octane levels won't your engine..If you live in a colder climate, it could induce longer starts and hesitation when the engine first warms up. Just keep using the regular 87 octane. It's cheaper. Also, higher octane compared to lower octane level fuels are less volitile. Thats why higher compression engines need a less volitile fuel. They tend to "ping" more if low octane fuels are used.

Justin

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've used no-name brand 87 octane and my car doesn't respond well with slower acceleration. When I use Chevron 91 it reponds better. Go fig.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I've used no-name brand 87 octane and my car doesn't respond well with slower acceleration. When I use Chevron 91 it reponds better. Go fig.
[/b]
No name brands are usually bad. They are usually sold the crappy "bottom of the barrel" gas that usually has a higher water content. It also usually has less additives.

·
Registered
21 Posts
a new mobil station opened by where i live and i filled up with their plus 89octane i usually put 87 in the tank and it performed better not by much but slightly noticable

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
To the OP:
1. Does my car contain a kock sensor?[/b]
No, it does not. :(

2. Ford recomends using Regular 87 octane gasoline in my car. Will using an octane of 91 or 93 hurt my engine?[/b]
Nope, won't hurt anything.

3. Will using a gas octane of 91 or 93 give my car better accelleration?[/b]
No, it won't, unless you're experiencing pinging on 87. That's the only real reason to use anything more expensive than 87...if it doesn't ping, feed it 87. :)

----------------------------------
Other stuff in the thread:
I've used no-name brand 87 octane and my car doesn't respond well with slower acceleration. When I use Chevron 91 it reponds better. Go fig.[/b]
Your car has a knock sensor...the newer ones can not tell if they're pinging or not. There's no way for the car to know if it can safely advance the timing for higher octane or not, so it's permanently tuned for 87 from the factory.

a new mobil station opened by where i live and i filled up with their plus 89octane i usually put 87 in the tank and it performed better not by much but slightly noticable[/b]
Most likely the placebo effect, unless it was pinging before. :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
[/b]
Use Techron for a rough idle ;)

That stuff kills my explorer.

I prefer Inland 87. Its cleaner than Conoco 87 and runs smoother. (I use STP Fuel Additives to keep my injectors clean)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I've used midgrade (89 octane) for a while on the Sable. Gas mileage did not get any better than using 87 and there was no real performance gains. The only advantage I noticed was that it idled smoother.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The only "performance improvement" in using higher-octane gasoline in any Taurus may come from the weight reduction in your wallet.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
I found that when the ambient temps are over 90F then a higher octane will help. But the gas I use is E10 89 oct. Cheaper or the same price as than the 87.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It helps the ECU figure out how much fuel to add the the mix. Last, higher octane levels won't your engine..If you live in a colder climate, it could induce longer starts and hesitation when the engine first warms up[/b]

A knock sensor retards engine timing when it experiences pinging or knocking. It will retard timing until the knocking or pinging is minimized. On engines with a knock sensor, it's possible for the computer to advance timing to the edge of knocking to maximize fuel economy and lower emissions. And running higher octane doesn't affect the performance of the engine in the cold. I run high octane and have no problems, the engine starts easy and drives no different then if it was summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts