Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Question about fuel injector O-Ring

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  paker 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. After getting a yellow check engine light my father pushed me to get it checked out at his guy (my guy just went out of business after the Ford dealer he was tied to closed). Turns out my O-ring needed replacing, but the guy spent about 5-6 hours IDing the problem & pulling the tank out. 2 questions:

1) How long could I have gone without fixing this?
2) Since I'm going to be paying through the nose in labor, did I just get burned?

Thanks.

#4 ·
do you know what code was pulled? im at a loss right now in why the fuel tank was dropped.
finding a bad o ring on an injector can take some time,
to answer your questions, a bad seal on an injector is never good. could you have drove for longer on it maybe.
as far as labor i have no idea what the bill was. but if it fixes the issue and you are able to get to and from where you need to go, was it worth it for you.

#5 ·
Fair enough, I don't have the code yet, but do want to get it. One thing that puzzles us both though is apparently the gas tank was painted. Since I never took out the tank I wonder if someone might have been taken it out prior to my buying it. I bought the 2005 Taurus that year with 8000 miles on it, & the fact that it was painted is unusual I think.

#8 ·
Leaky O-ring will make injectors leak extra gas. Not good to drive in the condition. It will get progressively worse. Apparently, he tested fuel pump, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator before removing the fuel rail and testing out O-ring seals. I don't know the book hours but these tests take time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.