Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have looked and looked though the "firewall hole" thread, and I am convinced that the hole in the center of firewall on Duratec engined cars, either does not exist or is already used up by something else. Am I right or wrong?

I started my search from the engine bay. I visually and manually inspected the firewall near the area where this hole has to be (behind the thermal shield). I am supposed to feel a rubber plug. It's just not there. Instead, there is some thin black cable (maybe 5 mm at most) I don't see on the pictures posted here. I also took off the carpet from the passenger side of the car, climbed down with a flashlight and I see a the same think black cable going in the direction of firewall. It's inserted into a rubber tube which probably replaces the old plug on both sides. There is no way I could squeeze in my 4 gauge power cable in there together with that black cable.

PS: Further thought: the thin black cable/tube I saw going though center of firewall must be the shift cable. Right? So it seems my only option now is to use the hole behind the strut tower? I can get to it, it's just I wanted to run the power cable for amp (that's why I need the hole) on passenger side of car so there is no interference with RCA cables.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I have looked and looked though the "firewall hole" thread, and I am convinced that the hole in the center of firewall on Duratec engined cars, either does not exist or is already used up by something else. Am I right or wrong?

I started my search from the engine bay. I visually and manually inspected the firewall near the area where this hole has to be (behind the thermal shield). I am supposed to feel a rubber plug. It's just not there. Instead, there is some thin black cable (maybe 5 mm at most) I don't see on the pictures posted here. I also took off the carpet from the passenger side of the car, climbed down with a flashlight and I see a the same think black cable going in the direction of firewall. It's inserted into a rubber tube which probably replaces the old plug on both sides. There is no way I could squeeze in my 4 gauge power cable in there together with that black cable.

PS: Further thought: the thin black cable/tube I saw going though center of firewall must be the shift cable. Right? So it seems my only option now is to use the hole behind the strut tower? I can get to it, it's just I wanted to run the power cable for amp (that's why I need the hole) on passenger side of car so there is no interference with RCA cables.
If I'm not mistaken the shifter cable for floor shifter cars goes through the center of the firewall, cable for column shifters goes through the hole behind the drivers side dash up higher. I have a duratec w/ floor shifter and i ran 4 gauge wire for my amps through the hole behind the drivers side dash. Be careful not to lose the rubber plug for the hole, I did and now i can feel hot air coming in through it during the summer. If you can, push it through from the engine bay side, I pushed mine from the passenger compartment through and it fell down and was lost forever. Not that it couldn't be replaced, i just haven't got around to it :p

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If I'm not mistaken the shifter cable for floor shifter cars goes through the center of the firewall, cable for column shifters goes through the hole behind the drivers side dash up higher. I have a duratec w/ floor shifter and i ran 4 gauge wire for my amps through the hole behind the drivers side dash. Be careful not to lose the rubber plug for the hole, I did and now i can feel hot air coming in through it during the summer. If you can, push it through from the engine bay side, I pushed mine from the passenger compartment through and it fell down and was lost forever. Not that it couldn't be replaced, i just haven't got around to it :p

As I have said, I wanted to try running the power cable on the passenger side, and the driver side firewall hole was not optimal for doing that. Yesterday, I have spent some time looking for a way to route the 4 gauge wire from the engine compartment onto the passenger side, and I suddenly found a series of holes that work perfectly for that. Basically, I run the cable into the passenger strut tower, after taking off the tire and the plastic protector above it. There are at least two visible holes in the strut tower, with wires already going into at least one of them. In the compartment under the fender, where the cable shows up, there is another hole that leads into the passenger compartment. This hole was also covered with a black round rubber plug, like the one you have lost. I punctured it for the wire to come through. The black plug's location is further south from the engine, approximately on the same level with the upper door hinge. It's not easy to spot at first because it's on a wall that's facing the fender wall. I am surprised that I have found a hole that no one had mentioned here in the past. (I have done a lot of searches). The wire comes out under the dash, near the door. Actually, I had to search for a hole under the carpet, near the door, insert my hand into the hole (more like a half of my wrist), and after several unsuccessful attempts, I managed to grab and pull the cable inside. It has to travel a few inches and make several correct turns before coming out inside. It took maybe 15 minutes to get it to reach my fingers. All in all, this search and wiring took many hours but I feel satisfied because I got the wire where I wanted without any drilling.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
As I have said, I wanted to try running the power cable on the passenger side, and the driver side firewall hole was not optimal for doing that. Yesterday, I have spent some time looking for a way to route the 4 gauge wire from the engine compartment onto the passenger side, and I suddenly found a series of holes that work perfectly for that. Basically, I run the cable into the passenger strut tower, after taking off the tire and the plastic protector above it. There are at least two visible holes in the strut tower, with wires already going into at least one of them. In the compartment under the fender, where the cable shows up, there is another hole that leads into the passenger compartment. This hole was also covered with a black round rubber plug, like the one you have lost. I punctured it for the wire to come through. The black plug's location is further south from the engine, approximately on the same level with the upper door hinge. It's not easy to spot at first because it's on a wall that's facing the fender wall. I am surprised that I have found a hole that no one had mentioned here in the past. (I have done a lot of searches). The wire comes out under the dash, near the door. Actually, I had to search for a hole under the carpet, near the door, insert my hand into the hole (more like a half of my wrist), and after several unsuccessful attempts, I managed to grab and pull the cable inside. It has to travel a few inches and make several correct turns before coming out inside. It took maybe 15 minutes to get it to reach my fingers. All in all, this search and wiring took many hours but I feel satisfied because I got the wire where I wanted without any drilling.
Congrats on finding a new way to run power wire! I ran mine on the drivers side because i dont have an aftermarket HU with RCA running to the back, just a LOC with stock football. I'd love to have an aftermarket cd player but i have the EATC built into the stereo so that's not currently easily possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts