Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all engines from '86-'95 use EEC-IV? Does that stand for Electronic Engine Control? And is that the computer that monitors everything?
All engines from '96-'05 use OBD-II (On-Board Diognositcs?), right?
'86-'95 motors (except SHOs) used distributor and coil, what do you call the newer system? Distributor-less Ignition System (DIS)? Or is there a more complex name?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe all pre-96 Ford Engines used EEC-IV (OBD-I). You would be correct about it meaning Electronic Engine Control version 4, and it is the comp that monitors everything.

All '96-up vehicles use OBD-II (I think some '95s did too - correct me if I'm wrong).

There are actually two newer ignition systems - coil on plug and coilpack. Both are classified as DIS (distributorless ignition systems). :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Which engines used the coil on plug and which ones used the coilpack?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
both techs and vulcans use coil packs

G

·
Coil On Plug would have to be some GEN4s. No others used this type of method.

Both Duratec and Vulcans use Coil Packs from 96-99 (please correct me if I am wrong)

Sal

G

·
The V8 SHO used coil on plug in all years, and the Tec did too in 2000. After 2000 they switched back to coil packs.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so the 2001-05 Duratec and all G4 Vulcans had coilpacks? Same with the V6 SHOs?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bump:

Answers to previous post?

BTW, I got a few questions about the trannys. Can anyone verify these facts?

ATX = 3-spd (4-cyl only)
AXOD = 1986-1990 4-spd (V6 only)
AXOD-E = 1991-1995 4-spd (V6 only)

Is the MT5's 5-spd the same tranny used on the 3.0L SHOs? And do they have a name other than MTX?

Did the AXOD-E change to the AX4S (or is it AX4N?) in '95? And does it depend on the motor weather the car got an AX4S or AX4N?

What tranny did the ATX V6 and V8 SHO use?

G

·
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 19 2004, 07:24 PM
Ok, so the 2001-05 Duratec and all G4 Vulcans had coilpacks? Same with the V6 SHOs?
96-99 Duratecs, 96-present Vulcans, and V6 SHO's have coil packs. the 2000 Tec had coil on plug, and the 01-05 have coil packs.

AXOD-E changed to the 4S in 94, to the best of my knowledge. For what it's worth, my 97 4S has "AXOD-E" stamped on the oil pan.

Some Vulcans got the 4N, and some SHO's got them in 94-95. Some SHO's also got the AX4S. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why.

Some G3 Vulcans also got the 4N, again no particular reason.

All Gen 3 Duratecs and SHO's had the AX4N, though the V8 SHO 4N is different internally.

All Gen 4's, I beleive, have 4N's.

I think that about covers it, but if I missed anything let me know.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks Bob! :thumb:

Do you know what they called the MT5 tranny? Or is it just "MT5"?

I know I could look it up, but do you know if it is correct that all '97 and up trannys used Mercon V and the rest used Dexron III/Mercon?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
IIRC, it's the same trans as in the tempo/topaz which is a MTX-III

G

·
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 24 2004, 09:32 PM
Ok, thanks Bob! :thumb:

Do you know what they called the MT5 tranny? Or is it just "MT5"?

I know I could look it up, but do you know if it is correct that all '97 and up trannys used Mercon V and the rest used Dexron III/Mercon?
IIRC, Dexron was used up to and including 1999, and 2000-up use Mercon V.

Not sure on the MT5, I haven't done much research into those.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re Transmissions:

All ATX V6 SHOs used the AXOD-E transmission.
All 3.8 Liter equipped Taurus' from 91' - 95' used the AXOD-E transmission
All 91' - 94' Vulcans used the AXOD-E transmission
Some 95' Vulcans used the AX4N (my 95' had one)

The AX4N is a non-synchronized transmission and was introduced in 95'. In 96' they changed the name of the AXOD-E to AX4S for description consistency (S synchronized/ N Non-synchronized).

The AX4N was never found in a generation II SHO as EEC-IV never had a computer code that worked with a non-synhronized transmission. All of the codes (H3Z1/ D4U1) were designed for use with the AXOD-E. Any instance of a Gen II SHO sporting an AX4N tranny would be a simple case of mistaken identity.

G

·
Originally posted by Mikeys_Taurus@Sep 27 2004, 12:55 AM
The AX4N was never found in a generation II SHO as EEC-IV never had a computer code that worked with a non-synhronized transmission. All of the codes (H3Z1/ D4U1) were designed for use with the AXOD-E. Any instance of a Gen II SHO sporting an AX4N tranny would be a simple case of mistaken identity.
Hurder has one in his 95, as far as I know. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The V8 SHO used coil on plug in all years, and the Tec did too in 2000. After 2000 they switched back to coil packs.
My parents '04 duratec taurus SEL has coil on plug...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts