Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pipes that come out of the water pump are started to leak. here in Israel it is allmost imposible to get new original ones (the pipes are going behind the engine and go back to the cooler, also they are going into the heat radiator onside the car).
I have cooper pipes wich are in the same size of the iron original ones. My question is if there is now chimical reaction between the water and the cooper, and also if there is no electric reaction between them that can cause Oxidention in the engine's iron head.
Another question is about the heat transfer in the oil filter, i had to cancel the water pipe that goes into the oil filter housing (and probably suppose to cool the oil) will it cause any damage to th e engine because there is no oil cooling? (the temperature here is about 98 degrees in the summer and 68 in the winter, also the moistre here is very high)

thank you very much
Roy. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't ever recall seeing any cooling lines running next to the oil filter when I had my '93, and I have the same engine on my '07. I wonder if your Taurus is different from the American version, or somone modified it? It gets just as hot and humid, somtimes hotter, in Texas, never had any problems with overheating, or oil breaking down. The oil filter on my '07 is located near a catalytic converter, above the starter. You should send us a pic of your oil filter housing so we can compare it to ours over here. Synthetic motor oil dosen't break down as much in the heat, so I use 100% synthetic year round in mine. If they have synthetic oil available there, I would use it-at least in the summer. I wonder if you can order parts online and have them shipped to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think that no more than a 300 Pcs where sold in israel fron 1992-1995 shes very rear and i dont think that ford would've change the line and produce different car with the heat transfer on the oil filter. so i think every Taurus in this year has one...

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
I also have never seen an oil cooler on a Vulcan or any other Taurus for that matter.... may be an export thing.

I know a guy from another site that redid all the hard lines on his 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe using copper plumbing pipe, and it has workid fine for a few years.... dont forget the radiator cooling tubes are made of copper too!

I bet your Taurus is a pretty rare car over there :) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If your Taurus holds 4.5 quarts of oil with a filter change, that oil filter heat transfer is not nessary. None of our Vulcan engine Taurus' over here have them, and fare very well in our long hot summers-our climates are simular in central Texas. I wonder why they didn't just put an external oil cooler in front of the radiator? It's not really needed for Vulcan engines, but I think the SHO Taurus' came with external oil coolers becouse of their high output engines.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would be sure to use distilled water when you mix the coolant. This will minimize the metals ions in the coolant that would accelerate any electro chemical reactions.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I also have never seen an oil cooler on a Vulcan or any other Taurus for that matter.... may be an export thing.

I know a guy from another site that redid all the hard lines on his 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe using copper plumbing pipe, and it has workid fine for a few years.... dont forget the radiator cooling tubes are made of copper too!

I bet your Taurus is a pretty rare car over there :) Good luck! [/b]
All SHOs have oil to coolant heat exchangers mounted directly to the block, and the oil filter threads into the cooler.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
All SHOs have oil to coolant heat exchangers mounted directly to the block, and the oil filter threads into the cooler.
[/b]
Yes Dan, but his info states he has a VULCAN, now, it could be wrong, but so far, no one's asked the man.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Why would a Vulcan need a oil cooler? It can barely get the coolant hot enough for good heat....

I bet the 3.8L POPO had the oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
[/b]
Yes Dan, but his info states he has a VULCAN, now, it could be wrong, but so far, no one's asked the man. [/b]
Correct, but if you look I quoted Jeff K in my response - Jeff said he has never seen an oil cooler on any Taurus; I was simply telling him that there are some Tauri (SHOs) that have oil coolers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts