Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my oil recently, and I am unsure of the reading. Basically, on the front side of the dipstick (the side with the Min/Max indicators) the oil goes above the Max level, but on the back side, the oil is below the Min level. Basically, there is a "thick" portion of oil that shows up on both the front and back sides of the dipstick that doesn't reach the Min indicator, and there is a "smear" of oil that only shows up on the front side of the dipstick but not the back (and the smear goes above the max line). The oil that is on the front but not the back isn't nearly as "thick" as the oil that is on the front and back, so I initially thought that the oil that is on the front and not on the back may just be some residue oil from the pipe that the dipstick is in. However, I do not want to add more oil and cause an overfill. Can someone help clarify as to what I should do.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Pull out dipstick and wait for 15 minutes. Then check again to be sure you are in the Min/Max range. Sometimes it is hard to see if it rubs against the tube coming out. Pull fast when removing. Sounds like the level is probably good.

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
Sometimes it takes a few insert and remove cycles to get a "clean" oil level indication on the stick. Checking after the car has been sitting for several hours helps.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Usually the level indicator side of the stick is the one you read. There must be some great engineering secret to dipstick hydrodynamics, because it still amazes me how hard some of them are to read.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Usually the level indicator side of the stick is the one you read. There must be some great engineering secret to dipstick hydrodynamics, because it still amazes me how hard some of them are to read.
Takes a design engineer to accomplish that!

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Exactly the way I feel with my Tbird. The end of the dipstick is plastic dipped white and is damn near impossible to read correctly with clean fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
This isn't rocket science. Park on a level surface. Wait a few minutes after shutting off the engine. Pull out the dipstick. Wipe it off. Stick it back in, then pull out and read it. When finished, stick it back in.

Sort of like the redneck sex manual: "In. Out. Repeat if necessary."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
sfhess
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing