Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after runiing my hehr powerline alternator for almost a year, I have a problem or maybe I suposse is a problem, in winter I don't have a problem at all, the systema voltage work at 13.8 to 14.48 but, now, since here is summer, I'm starting to use A/C system and in the night in iddle the voltage is 12.5v (A/C + Headlight + 2 amplifier + headunit) but when I accelerate the engine to 1000RPM, the voltage return to 14.2V is this ok?

I need to upgrade the alternator or modding the alternator? I replaced the wire of the system (battery cables 1/0GA and alternator 1/0GA)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
All I can tell you is every piece of charging system test equipment I've ever bought or borrowed requires the idle to be at 1500 RPM for an alternator stress test. I have no idea what warm/low idle output should be.

Are you having a battery discharge (dead battery) problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
I think back in 88, Ford used the crappy, fire prone G2 alternator. If it is a G2 alt, it is likely a 65 amp unit.... kind of pathetic by todays standards. In other words, your voltage #s sound about typical. Alt output is suposed to be tested with the engine RPM at 2000.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the original alternator with a hehr powerline (series 24) alternator, this is rated with 150A (this alternator come with 12 diodes) this alternator use a external regulator but, I'm using the taurus original voltage regulator (a new one, but the original part) any suggestion how can I upgrade this alternator or if I replace the regulator with another model I can solve the problem?

my problem is, when the car run iddle the voltage decrease to 12.5 or lower, (in traffic this is a problem) sometimes the radio turn off for the low voltage, so, I need to recharge the battery

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I replaced the original alternator with a hehr powerline (series 24) alternator, this is rated with 150A (this alternator come with 12 diodes) this alternator use a external regulator but, I'm using the taurus original voltage regulator (a new one, but the original part) any suggestion how can I upgrade this alternator or if I replace the regulator with another model I can solve the problem?

my problem is, when the car run iddle the voltage decrease to 12.5 or lower, (in traffic this is a problem) sometimes the radio turn off for the low voltage, so, I need to recharge the battery
[/b]
Sounds to me like the stereo system is the root of your problem here...I would read up on some custom stereo websites (I'm betting there are at least a few on the internetz :p ) and see what their solutions are for upgrading 80's era Ford systems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, today I have tested the system, and when I use lights + audio or another acccesory all work ok, but, when I use the A/C the iddle down to 650RPM and the problem with charge appear, but when I push the accelerator to 1000RPMthe voltage return to 14.2V

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi, today I have tested the system, and when I use lights + audio or another acccesory all work ok, but, when I use the A/C the iddle down to 650RPM and the problem with charge appear, but when I push the accelerator to 1000RPMthe voltage return to 14.2V
[/b]
The Idle Air Controller should maintain the factory idle speed with the A?C engaged. If it isn't doing that it needs to be cleaned or replaced. I don't know what the idle speed is for that car though, probably 750 but I'm not sure. You really need to have a tach connected to set idle, because the original tachometer gauge probably isn't accurate any more.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The IAC will not open more if the problem is too much alternator load. AC yes, PS yes, because this is programmed into the PCM logic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts