Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak in my A/C system so I need to recharge it again. I've got the stuff with the dye so I'm hoping to find the problem. I believed it to be the low side valve leaking because I saw coolant bubbling very slowly through it months after its last recharge. I got a new cap on it from the local junkyard since thats what it lacked.

I hope there's no other leak but I'll find out later tonight.

My question is, if I have it on full blast on the coldest setting, what is the temperature supposed to be coming out of the vent? Does it vary on outside temperature? I want to gauge it correctly because I don't want to overfill it [I don't have a high-side gauge].

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You need both gauges to properly refill your AC system.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Roach,

The cap on your A/C fitting is a dust cap. It is not supposed to be air tight although it may be. If your fitting is bubbling you need to change the valve stem insert. That will require the system to be evacuated. Sometimes you can just work it a couple of times and it will seat better. Check with a mix of dish detergent and water and look for bubbles.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Also, depending on how bad your leak was and if any outside air got into the system, the DIY recharge could have done more damage than good. The stuff that already has oil and dye in it is a bad idea, you have no idea how much oil is already in your system. Butter to add the dye with an oil injecting tool than to trust that the correct amount is added by a can.

My advise, unless you have the tools and have well versed yourself in the dos, don'ts, and procedures of servicing an AC system (i.e. get a good book on the subject and read it cover to cover), leave AC repairs and recharges to a professional. Unless major components have failed, professional service is often not that expensive, especially if you haven't fooled with it first and caused additional damage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I saw no one answered your original question. Vent temp. will vary according to outside temp.---60degree outdside---44--46 inside vent; 70 outside--44 to 48 inside vent;
80--43 to 48; 90degree outside 44 to 50 inside vent; 100 outsdie 52 to 60 inside

scott

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks scooter.

Thanks everyone else too. I'm just trying to work with I have and don't have [money]. Normally a fill will last a year, so I guess its too late to try to redo the stem. Like I'm saying its a very slow bubble, it's not the biggest issue right now. Hopefully I didn't to any damage like y'all said and hopefully it'll last this miserable summer until I can really get it fixed.

I appreciate the help.

Edit: I checked the cans too, no oil in them.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
R,
Between P and T, P is a better indicator. That's why no one charges AC to a temperature. Once P is within range, you can fine tune AC with T.

I don't know if they make a metal cap for R14a port. If you can find one, it will help seal the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts