Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Quality Problem Of G3 Coolant Overflow Tank

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cruzrtwdgt 
#1 ·
I got a 98 Gen3 wagon 6 months ago. I found that coolant become less abnormally, no leak found. till to some day, after a half hour's driving, I can smell coolant from vent, I stop the car and checked, wet under the coolant recovery tank. I went to the junk yard, tried to find a replacement, and I found 5 one gen3, but 4 of them broken underneath, only 1 ok but still has long crack inside and on the wall of the tank, especially underneath, it's not far to leaking. I got this one and repaired it, then replace it then ok.

As i thought, the tanks have quality problem that Ford should responsible for. It's not normal overflow tank, it's a preesure tank. the plastic(PP) which used on tanks cannot hold the pressure for long and not durable at all, it's will become yellow and weak in 10kkm, and the structure of the tank also easy be destroyed under pressure, especially underneath.

sorry for my poor english.

#2 ·
I had the same problem at about 70,000 miles. I started smelling antifreeze all the time, and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from till I noticed it oozing out when I opened the hood and looked at the tank closely. They supposedly have a new revision tank that isn't supposted to bust so easily. But they won't pay for it of course.

#3 ·
Does your car have the vulcan engine? there was a service bulletin out about installing a by pass kit witch puts a restricter in the small coolant line that runs from the top of the manifold to the top back of the expansion tank plus a new line that bypasses the heater and goes right back into the the water pump.
Is your anti freeze brown? there is a big procedure on how to flush the cooling system that is also part of the bulletin.
ford part# F7DZ-8522-AB for the bypass kit.

BTW the expansion tank Part# F6DZ-8A080-B cost about $30.00 bucks at the dealer.

#5 ·
Thanks Green, I got it, bulletin no.99-06-08, and my car seems already been done.
My car is vulcan engine, coolant aren't brown at all--may be it did before. And the the tank doesn't cheap as you say, canadian 100 buck+tax. and I spend 5 bucks on a thing called "Auto-plastic-weld" and 20mins to reinforce it, every things fine now.

#6 ·
Spend the money and buy a new tank. My tank cracked and would only leak under pressure. and it was on the underside, it was hard to locate becuase if it leaked it was hot steam and then by the time I checked it would be all gone. The aftermarket ones seem a little less brittle and more pliable. Only time will tell how well they hold up.

G
#7 ·
Originally posted by green@Jul 1 2004, 04:01 PM
expansion tank Part# F6DZ-8A080-B

FYI, but I'm sure alot of you know this. The "B" at the end is the revision level that part was made to. This means it's been redesigned. Buying one from a junkyard is OK, as long as it's the "B" part. If it's not, sooner or later it will crack as well.

I think there was a TSB on this, not sure though.

#8 ·
I had the same issue with my 99, couldn't find the leak for the longest time. I thought the hose was leaking and removed, reinstalled it a dozen times before I found the crack. Tank was approx 30.00 at the ford stealership. I'm glad I don't live in Canada, even with the exchange rate, 100.00 is expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.