Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my headlight assemblies is damaged and now the reflector unit is "open" to the elements, I don't expect it to remain serviceable for long before it clouds over inside and stops reflecting properly.
I have a plan to replace both left and rrights sides with a new set (either centennial type, or conventional units), and was curious about something.
if I were to fit an "alternative" unit inside the assembly (not a HID bulb, that is frowned upon and not tolerated on this forum, so I won't go there), does the headlight beam alignment feature adjust the whole assembly, or does it just raise and lower the reflector within?
Or will my alternative light assmbly require it's own alignment feature?

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
What do you mean by alternative unit? Is it DOT approved? If it's not, then it's not street legal. Hate to see a neighbor get a ticket due to your tinkering. The assemblies are pretty cheap on rockauto. If your alternative is designed for halogens, then it should be ok. Otherwise no. The projector is designed with halogens in mind. There are several other brighter bulbs on the market like UltraStars that are fine to use on stock housings.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You need to be able to align your headlight. No matter what you do. When you start changing the bulb or orientation of the bulb within the housing, your ability to aim the headlight can get messed up

I had an accident late last year, killed the left headlite. I replaced it with a non OEM unit off EBay. Fit well, looks like stock and was only 36 bucks shipped (US destination.) Keep it simple. It's just a car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
jag1959
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing