Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I have the same BOSS radio in the black SHO, have no problems with it.

When i had my 94 GL i had a pyle in it...and well basically just a pyle of crap.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Brad is right, you should stay stock and save up. Buy one thats worth it, and if you get it at best buy, they install free and if you ever sell your car they put the stock one back in for free and take your old one out. What is better then that?

-Ryan

·
Registered
235 Posts
For about 30 dollars more when they are on sale you can get a really good pioneer 200W that would be worth replacing your stock radio. Give it a couple of months, save up 30 more and buy that at Best Buy or Circuit City or someplace like that. That's what I did a while back and I love the pioneer.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok you guys have convinced me to wait. but if i buy a stereo at best buy and it says free installation, do i get charged for the metra dash kit that they use?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You're going to need to buy the metra kit. That itself runs about 65 bucks or so.

I personally would stay away from Pyle or Boss...like it was the plague...

Definitely save up for a Pioneer or Clarion or something that is of a reputable name.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
You will get charged for the kit ($70 for the Scochse).

I know Best Buy's install policy. When I went to see what it would take to install in my Gen III, it was during one of the free install promotions. Well thats just for basic installs. Gen IIIs are not basic installs. I think it was going to be $80 for the install, and that was after they took off $50 for the basic install.

So after all that it was going to be like $150 after the "rebate."

I decided to do the install myself...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The installation is relatively easy...it might take awhile, but if you have some basic skills, you should be able to do it. I'm sure there are dozens of people on this site that would be able to talk you through it if you have no idea what you're doing...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 28 2004, 06:25 PM
The installation is relatively easy...it might take awhile, but if you have some basic skills, you should be able to do it. I'm sure there are dozens of people on this site that would be able to talk you through it if you have no idea what you're doing...

JR
I could. I think I might have pics of my install on my superford account...

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by bumpin_taurus@Sep 27 2004, 10:08 PM
When i had my 94 GL i had a pyle in it...and well basically just a pyle of crap.
Well that just about sums it all up. Like others have said save up and buy something you want instead of something you have to deal with.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I installed my kit, it took me a little more than two hours, start to finish, including the HU install. I had also just had hernia surgery three days prior...I was bored...

JR

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh i can wire a radio easy, i've done it all the time, i've just never delt with installs with a retailer before. i've always just done it myself. i just wasn't sure if the dash kit would be included in the "free" part of free installation.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Here are some good deals that i've found for aftermarket cd players that IMO are pretty good and worth the buy

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_co...tore=&catid=317

Those are all less then $200, all name brands. I have never had a problem with alpine, kenwood or sony. I have also bought a 7" LCD screen for my old 94 Taurus from here for about $112, shipping was quick and the monitor was great.... I really like this place, plus this is the only place i know of that you can get a brand new Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12" for $189.99

·
Registered
901 Posts
Originally posted by JasonBVHS@Sep 28 2004, 05:15 PM
ok you guys have convinced me to wait. but if i buy a stereo at best buy and it says free installation, do i get charged for the metra dash kit that they use?
best buy "free" install would have cost me about $70 when I bought my deck because thats suposably what their wiring kit costed! I told them to go to hell and got a kit from walmart for $20 and installed it.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 28 2004, 04:25 PM

JR
I have pics of my Scoche install on my garage gallery. The link to it is in my signature.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts