Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am planning on buying a 2014-2018 Taurus this month and just have some questions regarding modification, having never driven this model. I love the front end look of the police interceptor and instead of buying a beat up, abused and stripped retired police car, I am thinking about just removing the stock bumper and replacing it with an interceptor one (as well as the grille). The cars look identical except the stock has fog lights and the PI has none. Would I run into any issues if I removed the fog lights? Idk if there are any sensors I need to worry about or if its even compatible with the civilian model. I just love the mean look in the front and would appreciate any replies or suggestions :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The front bumper cover and grille will interchange with no problems. Fenders ,hoods and core supports are the same for both models. Be prepared to pay a good bit for the interceptor bumper cover though. I have several friends I do paint and body work for who buy wrecked interceptors at auctions. More times than not if the cars need a front cover they buy a civilian cover because they are available aftermarket and are cheaper and easier to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front bumper cover and grille will interchange with no problems. Fenders ,hoods and core supports are the same for both models. Be prepared to pay a good bit for the interceptor bumper cover though. I have several friends I do paint and body work for who buy wrecked interceptors at auctions. More times than not if the cars need a front cover they buy a civilian cover because they are available aftermarket and are cheaper and easier to find.
Yeah, I've heard the parts are scarce for the interceptor, guess theres not enough of a demand for aftermarket to be a thing, which really surprised me. I'll have to look further into my options. Any tips for which trim Taurus is the best for the money? I'm thinking limited but idk yet, I'd prefer push to start, remote start, Bluetooth and a few other amenities but I'm willing to settle for a basic model. I appriciate the response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the reason parts are scarce is because for some reason the sixth generation Taurus was not a big hit with the public. Even as a police car it had lots of flaws. It has straps on the front doors limiting them opening to about 40 degrees if even that much. A back window you could barely see out of. Ford knew this and started developing the utility which most police departments in the south are going with. For years Ford ruled the police vehicle market with the Crown Victoria but with very little changes in many years it just got out dated and ceased production in 2011. Ford came back in 2013 with the Taurus interceptor but had major competition with Chevrolet (impala) and Dodge (charger) for the police car market. The Taurus interceptor did not sweep the market like the Crown Victoria had. So back to the drawing board, and they came out with the interceptor utility which I think has the potential to sweep the market the way the Crown Victoria did almost 2 decades earlier. I think the reason sixth gen Taurus parts are so scarce is just because there are not that many out there. Any information at all on these cars is very hard to find. They will probably be worth a couple hundred thousand in 50 years. Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the reason parts are scarce is because for some reason the sixth generation Taurus was not a big hit with the public. Even as a police car it had lots of flaws. It has straps on the front doors limiting them opening to about 40 degrees if even that much. A back window you could barely see out of. Ford knew this and started developing the utility which most police departments in the south are going with. For years Ford ruled the police vehicle market with the Crown Victoria but with very little changes in many years it just got out dated and ceased production in 2011. Ford came back in 2013 with the Taurus interceptor but had major competition with Chevrolet (impala) and Dodge (charger) for the police car market. The Taurus interceptor did not sweep the market like the Crown Victoria had. So back to the drawing board, and they came out with the interceptor utility which I think has the potential to sweep the market the way the Crown Victoria did almost 2 decades earlier. I think the reason sixth gen Taurus parts are so scarce is just because there are not that many out there. Any information at all on these cars is very hard to find. They will probably be worth a couple hundred thousand in 50 years. Lol
That's a great take on it. I wish they continued with an improved sedan concept, but it's all about profitability I suppose. If I may ask, how bad is the rear visibility on the 6th gen Taurus, are there any other common issues? I had a 2009 Impala and the rear visibility was awful, it was a long & awkward car with blindspots. Auxillary mirrors & a back-up camera will help though. I've been in love with crown vics since I was a kid, the only thing keeping me from buying one is the fuel economy lol. My current car is a Nissan Coupe, but as long as the taurus is a good reliable car I'll be happy.

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
Reliability..... Read up on the internal water pump failures on the FWD / AWD Ford vehicles (Flex, Edge, Taurus, etc) with the D35 and D37 engines . Lots of discussion about the water pump issues on this site.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The grille is easy enough to come by. They are online if you do a google. Plus the grilles are easy enough to install. You might be able to find the front bumper from an auto salvage business. There were a few crashed police T's at my local salvage yard just about a year ago.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
315 Posts
Let's not forget - it's not just the cost of a bumper cover and grille. You'll want it painted correctly to color match.

It won't give you any problems attaching. You can easily cut the side indents and add fog lights if you want to keep them.

As Jeff noted, read up on the water pump issues. I haven't kept up lately on the drivetrain offerings but I'd suggest going with a non-turbo vehicle.

Lastly - a pet peeve - they are all civilian models. There are no Taurus vehicles for the military. Cops are civilians.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts