Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just had the heads redone on my 00 3.0 se and got the car back together this weekend and fired it up..ran great, smooth no issues (so far). Was happy about that.. then I noticed that there is some light white smoke coming from the connection at the manifold/cat on both sides of the motor, but more so from the front and it appears to be getting less but I wanted to know if anyone had had this occur before and if it's the gaskets, new parts, etc. just "settling in"? Had a ford tech manual when I put the car back together and used the proper torque settings for the heads.. I did put a slight coating of oil in the cyl. when the heads were off just so no surface rust would form but this smoke smells like something plastic burning but you can see the smoke coming out of the header/manifold connections... used fel-pro gaskets...

Oh yeah, I noticed the temp. gauge running a tad hotter than normal and hooked the code scanner up and saw the coolant temp was at 205 deg. and the fans weren't on yet..is this normal? The t-stat is a 195 degree stant that I just put in when reassembling the car this weekend... Don't want to warp the heads.. Any help would be great!! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is usually some smoke that comes from the surface of the exhaust manifolds from being handled with greasy hands along with burning off WD40 used to remove exhaust manifold bolts. I always smell this when I put a head gasket job back together. One or two test drives usually gets all of that off though. I always put oil/wd40 in the cylinders to keep them from rusting and it also helps keep the rings from drying out. Most cars dont turn the fans on until about 220* with the stock tune. I did a 180* stat with a bleed hole on my 04 swapped 99 and the gauge stays just below halfway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't notice any smoke coming out of the exhaust and have only done light 10 min test drive or so around the block just to make sure no issues. I am planning another test drive tonight and hopefully no more smoke..

Good to hear about the fans.. the temp gauge is at about 1/2 or so when I drive the car around and not much change unless I turn the heat on and then I can see a small drop. So I guess it's ok.

My concern is that if the white smoke keeps coming?? I just heard from a coworker that if the valves get redone when the head is redone, they leak oil past and can cause the car to burn oil..is this the case usually?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't notice any smoke coming out of the exhaust and have only done light 10 min test drive or so around the block just to make sure no issues. I am planning another test drive tonight and hopefully no more smoke..

Good to hear about the fans.. the temp gauge is at about 1/2 or so when I drive the car around and not much change unless I turn the heat on and then I can see a small drop. So I guess it's ok.

My concern is that if the white smoke keeps coming?? I just heard from a coworker that if the valves get redone when the head is redone, they leak oil past and can cause the car to burn oil..is this the case usually?
The whole point of doing a valve job, other then ensuring the valves are properly seated, is making sure that the oil leak DOES NOT happen.

I assume that if you did a valve job, you also replaced the valve guide seals? They are usually part of a headgasket kit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the shop did everything. There was low compression in cyl 1, 5, 6 and very low vaccumn seal with the valves, (some had 0). The shop redid all the parts/seals on the head and then I put the rest of the new gaskets/seals on the block/manifolds w/the kit. (was the whole kit, with valve cover grommets, exhaust manifold, egr, etc..)

The car never smoked before and just sputtered and was reading a misfire on cyl. 1 and 6, which is why I had the heads redone. Seems the prior owner tried to do his own head job and told me it was professionally done :angry:

But at this point, I am going to do a compression test and see what I can get numbers wise but am still wondering why there would be some white smoke at all? ...:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well took the car for a long test drive, not speedy, but long and no more smoke from the manifold/cats and the fans kicked in as they were supposed to! :D

Then on the way home I got a P0401 code...ugh. Time to go down the list and see if the DPFE needs to be replaced...hopefully now there won't be any more codes since the car is running right and not lean anymore...:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Get the borg-warner dpfe (egr pressure sensor) from advance auto, oreilly or pep boys. Part# egr631 (or possibly #egr155 depending on the build date).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts