Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an USACI show not far from the house yesterday at a Car Toys just to check things out and I ended up giving my taurus a run on their termlab just to see what I hit.

I came in 2nd place on the stock 0-600 class with a 136.5db

I didn't think it was too bad with using the stock head unit with the Mach RCU. The 1st place run was a 140.1 by the Car Toys Manager's kid with a civic SI and all aftermarket with pro installation.

I've got a new head unit to put in and may throw in a 2nd amp for the mids and highs.

Was fun for something new I had never done and the kids got a kick out of dad bringing home a trophy for his loud stereo :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wish I could get my hands on a termlab. I'm going to say mine is probably around 130.
136 is pretty good off of the stock headunit tho.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Scored a 140db @ 35hz on termlab with 1500-1600w rms on my old hifonics amp. Was my first comp and had jacked up test tones that played only half volume. The highest score i got was when I accidentally put on a good test tone i had in another folder but it was 35hz, 3hz less than my tuning so not good for spl numbers... If i had to guess i would say i would do 142-145db at 45hz-50hz. Will find out for sure this July. What kind of system do you have?

·
Registered
245 Posts
i lit up a termlab mic to the tune of 138.9 with a Pioneer Premier SPL 2002 12 in a prefab box powered by a 501db using The Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood" and forgot to turn the sub levels up on the deck. i miss that setup...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Scored a 140db @ 35hz on termlab with 1500-1600w rms on my old hifonics amp. Was my first comp and had jacked up test tones that played only half volume. The highest score i got was when I accidentally put on a good test tone i had in another folder but it was 35hz, 3hz less than my tuning so not good for spl numbers... If i had to guess i would say i would do 142-145db at 45hz-50hz. Will find out for sure this July. What kind of system do you have?
Sorry forgot to put in system specs

Right now:
Stock ford control with Mach RCU
Polk db 570s front and rear
1" quantum audio tweeters

but the noisemaker was the Polk DB1222 prefab box with 2 polk db 12s being pushed with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 600.1bd

Just using lineout converter to feed the amp and its got 4 gauge power/ground

So 136.5 off 600 watts RMS didn't seem too bad.

I've got the metra install kit on order so I can install the headunit I picked up. Pioneer Premier 980BT with the ipod control module. I've also got a 2nd matching fosgate punch 450.4 I may put in to drive the mids/highs

·
Registered
524 Posts
Where you order your Metra kit from? I got a Schoche one that is broken so I'm going to get a Metra one now. Just need to find one for the lowest price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Where you order your Metra kit from? I got a Schoche one that is broken so I'm going to get a Metra one now. Just need to find one for the lowest price.
$69.72 from amazon

How do you like the RE subs?

I'd like to upgrade but to make it worth it I think I'll have to go with the big 3, possibly battery/alternator, and bigger amp and higher power rated subs. I'd love to seal it from the trunk and fire forward and aim for 150db

·
Registered
587 Posts
man not bad for being so far from the windsheild. cars are longer then my truck i am about a meter from the windshield so feel good about your score. i hit a 140 on a test tone and two jbl power p1022 after i made that run the guy let us play for a minute and i hit a 141.5 unofficialy that was two subs at 900rms in a t line for my and your fist time up not bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man not bad for being so far from the windsheild. cars are longer then my truck i am about a meter from the windshield so feel good about your score. i hit a 140 on a test tone and two jbl power p1022 after i made that run the guy let us play for a minute and i hit a 141.5 unofficialy that was two subs at 900rms in a t line for my and your fist time up not bad.
Thanks that was with subs/port back and the back seat down and the meter was on the front passenger side floorboard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problem glad you got out and had fun that is all that matters.
and now the bad part of wanting to upgrade to bigger/louder :)

I'll see how it sounds after the head unit upgrade but already wanting to look at some higher grade level subs and a bigger amp

·
Registered
524 Posts
$69.72 from amazon

Amazon.com: Metra 99-5717 Taurus/Sable 04-07 Dash kit: Electronics

I'd like to upgrade but to make it worth it I think I'll have to go with the big 3, possibly battery/alternator, and bigger amp and higher power rated subs. I'd love to seal it from the trunk and fire forward and aim for 150db
PERFECT! All the others one I find are 80 and up. edit: hahah the one for the 00-03 taurus is 62 dollars :p

I LOVE them, they can take 1000 watts easily I've heard. I've seen some videos on Youtube and they just love power. The crazy thing is that the original price for EACH was 200 and I got BOTH for that price.

Haha I want to upgrade too, but your right about everything else. I would need the Big 3, better wires, custom box, and then a new amp.

·
Registered
367 Posts
$69.72 from amazon

Amazon.com: Metra 99-5717 Taurus/Sable 04-07 Dash kit: Electronics

150db?!?! You're only at ~137db and you're shooting for 150db? Decibles are exponential so the difference between 137 and 150 is HUGE. None the less 150db is hard to do in a trunk car. You're gonna need 2 beefy 12's, a huge box, 4500+ watts with a huge battery bank and a HO alt. If you have deep pockets it can be done. But if you're really shooting for high numbers you will need an SUV or a little hatch back. Not trying to rain on your parade ;P A general rule of thumb is you will get a 3db gain by doubling your power and a 3db gain by adding another sub. But that is VERY general.

·
Registered
587 Posts
the only suv i know of doing 150+ is a explorer with 12 brutis 12's in it 16 batterys the power master xs type. dual ho alts to charge it run off of four 5 k amps straped togather two on two putting out 10k watts each. for about 20k watts rms total. the guy is hitting a 153 with his set up so you know what i mean it will be hard as hell in the taurus. have considered doing so in my truck but i still have not enough room to do it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
12 12's? with 20k rms and only 153db? Thats kinda weak imo. A guy i know has a walled jeep with 2 18's on 5k rms does 152db. And staying on topic, I know of another guy with 2 10" or 12" (can't remember) AQ hdc3's with 5kw rms in a grand prix put up 151 db on a burp. So it can be done as the grand prix is similar in size to our cars.

·
Registered
587 Posts
12 12's? with 20k rms and only 153db? Thats kinda weak imo. A guy i know has a walled jeep with 2 18's on 5k rms does 152db. And staying on topic, I know of another guy with 2 10" or 12" (can't remember) AQ hdc3's with 5kw rms in a grand prix put up 151 db on a burp. So it can be done as the grand prix is similar in size to our cars.

here i was thinking he was ruinning 20k there is no way he is with these subs i only got a glance at what he was running. it was around 12-16 of these subs either the atlus or brutius subs. these subs are 500-1000 rms max so there is no way in hell he is running 20k must be running four 1.5 k's i was thinking those subs were the 1200rms type i guess i was wrong now that i looked them up. see link

http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hifonics/pdfs/AtlasSubwoofer manual.pdf

of cousre the guy not that smart but he was asking me what i was running in my t-line and a lot of question to go with. so you know he's trying to get louder yet. any ways good point i know a couple guy that claim the 150 on line with two 15's but never seen them on a meter so i could not call it there .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw an explorer doing upper 150s that was 4 15s in a wall but not sure on the power range.

So I guess I should take baby steps and aim for the 140 mark first? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
150db?!?! You're only at ~137db and you're shooting for 150db? Decibles are exponential so the difference between 137 and 150 is HUGE. None the less 150db is hard to do in a trunk car. You're gonna need 2 beefy 12's, a huge box, 4500+ watts with a huge battery bank and a HO alt. If you have deep pockets it can be done. But if you're really shooting for high numbers you will need an SUV or a little hatch back. Not trying to rain on your parade ;P A general rule of thumb is you will get a 3db gain by doubling your power and a 3db gain by adding another sub. But that is VERY general.
Is it worthwhile going to a setup with 2 12s but with subs/port forward and sealing off the subs from the trunk? What's a reasonable power range to shoot for off the stock alt, big 3, and a battery upgrade? Then I need to match the sub(s) to the power I can put out

·
Registered
367 Posts
You could probably get to 140db with front firing box (sealed off from the trunk) and this amp MB Quart DSC-1500.1D Mono Amplifier 1500W + Bass Remote - eBay (item 300433320731 end time Jul-01-10 05:48:53 PDT)

Just have to set the gains accordingly with a DMM as I am not familiar with RE's power ratings. Those amps will do rated and then some so it leaves you head room for later. And two 12's is the way to go in these cars to get the most cone area/proper box size. After a nice 100ah battery and the big 3 you should have enough juice for up to ~2500w on the stock alt. With a stock battery and alt I wouldn't go any higher than 1000w.

Edit: sorry i thought you were the running the RE's. If I were you I would sell your polks and get 2 12" AQ SDC2.5's or 2 12" DC LVL 3's and then run them on the MB Quart amp. That would easily get you in the the 140+ range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could probably get to 140db with front firing box (sealed off from the trunk) and this amp MB Quart DSC-1500.1D Mono Amplifier 1500W + Bass Remote - eBay (item 300433320731 end time Jul-01-10 05:48:53 PDT)

Just have to set the gains accordingly with a DMM as I am not familiar with RE's power ratings. Those amps will do rated and then some so it leaves you head room for later. And two 12's is the way to go in these cars to get the most cone area/proper box size. After a nice 100ah battery and the big 3 you should have enough juice for up to ~2500w on the stock alt. With a stock battery and alt I wouldn't go any higher than 1000w.

Edit: sorry i thought you were the running the RE's. If I were you I would sell your polks and get 2 12" AQ SDC2.5's or 2 12" DC LVL 3's and then run them on the MB Quart amp. That would easily get you in the the 140+ range.
Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like after the headunit my next focus should be the big 3 and battery then look at the sub/amp combo.

I picked up the polk subs/prefab box for $149 @ frys and the punch 600.1bd for $80 off craigslist so I think I can get my money back out of them ok.

how is the AQ1200D and 2200D?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts