Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate this car for one reason, since I got it I cannot pump the gas without standing at it, and barely easing on the gas leaver, if I try to push any further the gas pump will kick off. It hadn't been bad except when its 10 degrees outside it stinks. Why does it do this? What should I do to fix this, I've been to different gas stations all the same. Ford Expedition I can put it in, let completely fill up all while inside the comfort of my nice heated vehicle.. Also my gas tank does not leak, that I've ever noticed, the vent hose appears to be fine, unless its clogged else where, it runs up under the car I assume, I've found it wiggled it, and it feels fine.

If anyone knows why, or how let me know. Its a 1999 Ford Taurus with a Vulcan V6. Its done it since I got it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sounds like one of your vents is plugged..

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've only ever had this happen once or twice and I think it was probably the gas pump... I use one of those "InStant" capless fuel fillers and you'd think that would cause a problem, but it doesn't...

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Have you ever put any fuel additives in the tank? If so are you 100% sure that the foil was completely removed from the bottle before pouring it in? If not you're going to have to remove the filler hose and check it for a blockage. I've seen this too many times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've put fuel additives in, but no foil. Always removed it, the person before me may have. I'll have a look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my car. I've checked and tired everything and nothings fixed it. I've come to the conclusion that since there is a long distance the fill hose runs horizontally to the gas tank, the gas simply cant flow fast enough for the pump. I just tough it out. Sometimes takes 15 minutes of standing there holding the trigger as lightly as i can. Unless you can figure out a way to modify the tube so that its on an angle for as long as possible i dont think there is much else you can do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hate this car for one reason, since I got it I cannot pump the gas without standing at it, and barely easing on the gas leaver, if I try to push any further the gas pump will kick off. It hadn't been bad except when its 10 degrees outside it stinks. Why does it do this? What should I do to fix this, I've been to different gas stations all the same. Ford Expedition I can put it in, let completely fill up all while inside the comfort of my nice heated vehicle.. Also my gas tank does not leak, that I've ever noticed, the vent hose appears to be fine, unless its clogged else where, it runs up under the car I assume, I've found it wiggled it, and it feels fine.

If anyone knows why, or how let me know. Its a 1999 Ford Taurus with a Vulcan V6. Its done it since I got it.
[/b]

Can't this start a static electricity fire, from getting in and out of your vehicle :dunno:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Have you tried holding the pump nozzle at at 90 degree angle? It helps on my 97.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried it all, and no static electricity would be from you touching it, Cops never turn their motors off to fill up. Haven't seen a fire from it yet, watch mythbusters running the vehicle had no effect on it.. I always touch metal anyway before putting it in. I also let my Diesel idle while I fill it. Lots of people do here lately as far as anything it got down to 10 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts