Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When going anything over 40 or so when i come to a stop the car shakes/ pulsates and the steering wheel shakes.. also noticed when turning sharp like a U-turn there is an annoying pop.. not sure if two are related. Brakes are good all the way around, new calipers and pads, turned rotors, CVs have been replaced, and i did the clock test and 6 and 12 o clock seemed tight (ball joints), 3 and 9 seemed to have a bit of play, Would worn tie rods cause what is going on? I also read that wheel bearings can cause the pusation when braking? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Pulsating - breaks need service, you have warped discs (rotors).
Poping - CV joint.

·
Registered
562 Posts
From my own experience, another thing that could be happening with your brakes is brake residue on the rotors that can feel just like they are warped but they are not. Try finding a quiet stretch of road and doing 3-4 hard stops from 55mph to 5mph, as hard as you can without locking the tires. Don't come to complete stop and give them time to cool before doing it again. This will attempt to burn off any gunk on the rotors. Give them time to cool then try a normal stop. If the pulsating is gone or largely reduced your rotors are probably fine but the pads, even though they might be new, are probably crappy and should be replaced.

I don't know about the popping noise but that would likely be suspension related, not brakes. Even though you said the ball joints didn't move when you checked them I would spend some more time checking those just to rule them out. I think wheel bearings are not likely the culprit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been told by my mechanic that they don't like to turn down Taurus rotors because they're pretty thin to begin with.

However, a Ford dealer has turned my rotors down before (and they did warp within a year)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Always buy high quality pads. You can get away with most rotors if you get quality pads. The cheap pads will leave residue on your rotors and will warp them eventually. I suggest you replace the rotors with Motorcraft if possible or at least a upper end auto parts store brand like one from Advanced Auto or PepBoys and also go with a high end ceramic or semi-metallic pad if you can take the dust.

Expect to spend AT LEAST $40 on a good set of pads and up to $70 for some of the high end ones. I have heard good things from Autzones Duralast Gold, but no other Duralast are worth the money unless you want to have more brake vibrations.

I can also recommend Hawk semi-metallic, or Ceramic, as well as anything EBC.

I got a pricing error deal on my Satisfied Brakes Pro Ceramic pads and a closeout deal on my Brembo OE style rotors and they are way better than any of the auto parts store / Duralast parts i have used in the past.

You also can't go wrong with Motorcraft if you can find them for a reasonable price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts