Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving our 97 Gl today. I went to pass someone and accel hard. I noticed a significant pull to the right. I don't think I have ever had any car that pulled on accel braking yes. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? The axle boots look OK and the struts and ball joints too are OK. Thanks for any help. Jim

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Jack each side up 1 at a time and wiggle 12-6 and 9-3. If it is 12-6 that is loos it is the ball joint. If it is 9-3 that is loose it is the tie rod.

You could just also get an alignment.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I am going to bring it to the shop for an alignment. I had the ball joints done a couple months back and was going to get the alignment but never did. I will have them check the tie rods too. Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke with a mechanic today and he said it could just be torque steer. I never heard of that before but looked it up. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Torque steer is due to being front wheel drive. One side will pull more then the other.

Since you did the ball joints I would still have an aligment done.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
a stock taurus doesnt have torque steer, maybe an sho but you gotta have more power...

my mothers 06 TL has gobs of it and because its got the sport a spec suspension its really quick to jump around.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Torque Steer

a stock taurus doesnt have torque steer, maybe an sho but you gotta have more power...

my mothers 06 TL has gobs of it and because its got the sport a spec suspension its really quick to jump around.
My '02 Continental will do that if you turn off the traction control. In normal t/c you will feel it just a tick before the little green light comes on, then the system will limit that. My DOHC Sables do not do that, even with the t/c off. Lots of HP, not enough TORQUE. The 4.6 DOHC haS TORQUE.
-CHART-

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check the pressure. Also the side it pulls to has a brand new tire on it. The driver side does not if that makes any difference. The only things away from stock are ball joints, struts and free flow cats. The cats did make a big difference in acceleration. hanks. Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts