Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought this car a couple weeks ago and it does need aligned, i believe, as the car drifts to the right a bit. problem is increased when accelerating, though. looking for some insight on this. i need to get new tires very soon and will get it aligned then, but thought i'd see if there is anything else that could be wrong with the axle, etc. that i can check for before then.

thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
Other than new tires and alignment, you need to make sure there are no loose parts ( which should be done by the person doing the alignment first ). Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings must be tight for a proper alignment, as well as bushings which could cause the same problem. Subframe bushings, control arms etc should be checked for wear. Even if something worn isn't causing your pulling, it could ruin you new tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 23 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806343
Other than new tires and alignment, you need to make sure there are no loose parts ( which should be done by the person doing the alignment first ). Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings must be tight for a proper alignment, as well as bushings which could cause the same problem. Subframe bushings, control arms etc should be checked for wear. Even if something worn isn't causing your pulling, it could ruin you new tires.[/b]

actually i bought it with bad wheel bearings and replaced them. while doing that i checked over the suspension and checked the cv boots and everything seems to be nice and tight without movement. i'm betting between the bald tires, bad alignment and torque steer it all adds up to the situation i'm having. should be getting new tires in 2-4 weeks depending on if anything comes up and the alignment will be done at the same time.

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (landon.moss @ May 23 2010, 10:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806392
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 23 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806343
Other than new tires and alignment, you need to make sure there are no loose parts ( which should be done by the person doing the alignment first ). Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings must be tight for a proper alignment, as well as bushings which could cause the same problem. Subframe bushings, control arms etc should be checked for wear. Even if something worn isn't causing your pulling, it could ruin you new tires.[/b]

actually i bought it with bad wheel bearings and replaced them. while doing that i checked over the suspension and checked the cv boots and everything seems to be nice and tight without movement. i'm betting between the bald tires, bad alignment and torque steer it all adds up to the situation i'm having. should be getting new tires in 2-4 weeks depending on if anything comes up and the alignment will be done at the same time.

thanks for the reply
[/b][/quote]

The ball joints are under load, so the shop will need to check them when you're getting your alignment done. I did the tire-rock check when i first got my car, then the person getting me my safety certificate (Ontario) must've done the same thing, because he didn't catch it. A month or so later when I went to get an alignment, needed two ball joints. I keep one on my desk to remind me how close I was to an issue; I can use it as a mortar & pestle.

A bad ball joint will throw you off, plus an alignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts