Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Ford Taurus, 145,000 miles on it and noticed a puddle of tranny fluid under car this morning, drove it a mile or two and it trails fluid. Spoke with my mechanic and he said the Taurus's were noted for leaking at the torque converter seal or it could be a broken transmission line, if I'm lucky. Any ideas on how to narrow the problem down; seal or transmission lines? Are the lines easily visible under vehicle? Thanks for any help/comments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Clean off the crud from the bottom of the engine and transmission with degreaser. Start it up for a short time, then look underneath and see if you can locate it. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Same thing happened to my '00 'tec with the AX4N transmission. There are a pair of tranny fluid lines that are part steel tube and part rubber hose that run from the transmission to and from the radiator. They run along the top of the engine subframe near the transmission and catch a lot of abuse from the front wheel. Mine corroded and pinholed in the steel section near the wheel from an accumulation of salt and crud. The good news was that they were inexpensive parts, even from Ford.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts