Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modded their puddles lights to led? I did one of mine so far. It was a pain. There was no way to open the housing. Why would they be made/designed that way in case you had to replace the bulb?? I had to cut an access hole. Then take out the halogen bulb. Then after that, the led I had to put in would not stay so I had to solder it in. Then I used piece of plastic from a spray bottle to glue on the housing where I made the access hole, and super glued it. Anyone did this to their Taurus? Got pics?

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Yes, it was a pain. I used a hack saw to carefully break the seal around the edge. Then I used some super glue to put them back together which has held perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
that looks great... i sure would like to switch my taillights and front turn signal lights to led's but just don't know on how to do it and where to get all the led bulbs for my 2005;)..nice job man

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm not sure if its quite the same, but my buddy did custom headlight work on his Focus ST, and they put the headlights in the oven for a period to melt the glue a little, then they pried it all apart.

In their own words, "It was a pain in the ****", but puddle lights might go quicker. I'd imagine it wouldn't be long in the oven, for fear of melting the plastics and whatnot

·
Registered
523 Posts
I did it to mine. Ive done harder things, but it is a pain to have to saw them open. The super glue actually failed on one recently and I lost the lens. There are ones pre made with leds that I bought to swap them out with

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
A Dremmel with a cutoff wheel works great to separate the lens from the housing. Used RTV to attach the lens back on the housing. Simple project on my 05 SEL Premium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Jeff K
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing