Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to post this for almost a year now. Better late than neva. I removed the entire mirror house from car to make it easy. Not all tauruses have the puddle light but if you still want to do this mod i can tell you what wires to tap into just pm me. First start by removing the door panel there are 7 phillip #2 screws.

Pull the door around the edges towards you, remove the power window and lock harnesses and move door panel out of way.
Now remove screw on bottom of tweeter pod

And in the middle of tweeter pod. Slide pod toward the window and remove.

Now Remove 2 7/16 bolts from mirror

And the third

Disconnect the harness

Remove side mirror

The light is held in it's housing with a tab. Push in on the tab with a flat head and remove

I left the housing in when i put new led pod over the factory but used the factory wiring for power. The wire on the pod that has number is your positive. the other your negative.

My led pod can from oznium.com and is very bright. Is uses double sided tape that i heated up before attaching to factory puddle light and reinstalling.

heres the result.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey that is a pretty sweet mod..
but I cant find the product you used... the only one that I see that can work is the high intensity flood light.. r those it?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Few questions... Did your mirrors already have the factory stock puddle lights and you just put in the LED ones? It doesn't mention in your write up that you had to install new mirrors so I'll assume you already had them... Also, did you put LEDs in your door handles?

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
He has an 03 with the tec so it would already have the puddles.
All 02+ models came with the puddles except the LX models. :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Somebody please take a picture of the bottom of their puddle light mirrors for me please.. I've never seen the puddle lights on a Taurus.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You haven't seen them? :dunno:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I have a G3, why would I have seen them?
[/b][/quote]
Umm...you've looked at G4s before? Not sure how to answer...

You mentioned in your other thread your local dealer had an 04 SEL. Go check that car out, it'll have them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I have a G3, why would I have seen them?
[/b][/quote]
Umm...you've looked at G4s before? Not sure how to answer...

You mentioned in your other thread your local dealer had an 04 SEL. Go check that car out, it'll have them.
[/b][/quote]

...I've never gone up to someone else's car, stooped down to look under their side mirrors to look at their puddle lamps no... At 11pm at night I can't really go to the dealer and look under the mirrors... Besides you already posted a picture so why would I have to do that now?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
...I've never gone up to someone else's car, stooped down to look under their side mirrors to look at their puddle lamps no... At 11pm at night I can't really go to the dealer and look under the mirrors... Besides you already posted a picture so why would I have to do that now?
[/b]
I wasn't trying to be a douche in the post a couple up, I was just a little surprised you hadn't seen/heard about them before since you've been here for a few months, or you might have seen a Taurus up there with them at night, illuminated...that's all.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I wasn't trying to be a douche in the post a couple up, I was just a little surprised you hadn't seen/heard about them before since you've been here for a few months, or you might have seen a Taurus up there with them at night, illuminated...that's all.
[/b][/quote]

Well that's fair... But no, I hadn't ever seen them... Before the summer I didn't even know Tauruses had them! From the pictures the author of this thread posted, I realized that they don't look anything like the ones on my Fusion so that got me curious as to what they look like on the Taurus... The Taurus reflectors are huge compared the Fusion's and it looks like you can actually access the bulbs from the underside of the mirror... On the Fusion you have to remove the mirror glass to get at the bulbs. The one thing that was really worrying me about getting non OEM G4 side mirrors for my G3 was that they all say "sealed, cannot remove glass from housing" so I thought "uh oh, what happens if the bulb burns out, there'd be no way to replace them! But apparently you can!

Also, there really don't seem to be many G4s around here. The only ones I ever see are American bingo players!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The bulb housings for the puddle lamps are removeable, but you cannot access the bulb itself inside the housing, that part is sealed. Not sure why Ford did that....aftermarket puddle lamp Taurus mirrors have some way to access the bulb itself easily.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey that is a pretty sweet mod..
but I cant find the product you used... the only one that I see that can work is the high intensity flood light.. r those it?
[/b]
I used the tiny led modules.

Yes the lights are permanently sealed. But you can open them using the same method used for removing the orange turn signal reflector. I've done several G4 taurus in the past couple weeks at every trim level and only one had the puddle lights. I was very suprised the 04 ses with column shifter sunroof, and leather seats didn't have em. But he mod can still be done with out them. If you need help just let me know.

Few questions... Did your mirrors already have the factory stock puddle lights and you just put in the LED ones? It doesn't mention in your write up that you had to install new mirrors so I'll assume you already had them... Also, did you put LEDs in your door handles?
[/b]
Yes the mirror already had the puddle lights stock. Yes those are led in my door handles.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I added a puddle lamp mirror (I only had one to work with, will get another one later) to my 01. It didn't have the puddle lamps (too early of model year) but it was quite easy to do. Just tapped into the power for the footwell lights.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I added a puddle lamp mirror (I only had one to work with, will get another one later) to my 01. It didn't have the puddle lamps (too early of model year) but it was quite easy to do. Just tapped into the power for the footwell lights.
[/b]
I never tried to add the actual mirror. What footwell light are you speaking of

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I'm sorry, let me rephrase...

Nick got me a mirror from a Centennial that had a puddle lamp. I put that on my car and just wired the puddle lamp part to the footwell lights so that the puddle lamps come on with the interior lights.

The footwell lights are curtesy lights Ford had in 96's but did away with after that. The brackets for them are in all 97-01/02's for both sides (one on the passenger side, another on the driver's side). Newer cars (either starting in 02 or 03) did away with the bracket for it but you can still add the footwell lights and zip tie the socket to something where the bracket would be on the driver's side.

Wiki write-up: http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/2...p_Install_Guide

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw them on a few 98's that i've worked on. always wonder why there was no lights. Cold Cathode tubes under the dash from oznium and wired the to the dome light switch. My glows when i disarm it. I can always find it, even in walmart parking lot, lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts