Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of puddle lamp/heated mirrors off of an 02+ model I want to add to my car. Car already has heated mirrors from the factory. Since 00-01s are not prewired for puddle lamps, I am going to have to run two wires from the door to the interior of the car.

1.) Should I use the wiring I already have in for the footwell lights (goes to the Black/Light Blue in the passenger door kick panel wire bundle) and "daisychain" the puddle lamps into that? Or should I tap into the Light Green/Orange wiring for the Puddle lamps? Can I tap into a ground wire I already have for the footwell lights? Don't want to blow a fuse or anything. Or is there a better wire to use?

2.) When I run the wires from the door to the interior, is there some kind of wire covering/sheath that I can wrap around it or put the wires through to protect them from the elements and/or fraying with opening and closing of the door overtime? It is not going to be possible to use any wiring within the door on either side...no way to get the wires through.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have a couple of puddle lamp/heated mirrors off of an 02+ model I want to add to my car. Car already has heated mirrors from the factory. Since 00-01s are not prewired for puddle lamps, I am going to have to run two wires from the door to the interior of the car.

1.) Should I use the wiring I already have in for the footwell lights (goes to the Black/Light Blue in the passenger door kick panel wire bundle) and "daisychain" the puddle lamps into that? Or should I tap into the Light Green/Orange wiring for the Puddle lamps? Can I tap into a ground wire I already have for the footwell lights? Don't want to blow a fuse or anything. Or is there a better wire to use?

2.) When I run the wires from the door to the interior, is there some kind of wire covering/sheath that I can wrap around it or put the wires through to protect them from the elements and/or fraying with opening and closing of the door overtime? It is not going to be possible to use any wiring within the door on either side...no way to get the wires through.

Thanks.
[/b]
hey i added puddles to my non puddle mirrors just recently along with the foot well lights. when i wired it all up i ran the wires to the dome light so they come on with lock and unlock on the key pad along with the dimmer switch. so both my puddles and footwells come on together.. anyways when i ran the wires in the door i ran them threw the factory rubber grommets. only thing was the drivers door i had to drill a hole in the crazy plug there on the door so i could run the wires threw.. was a pain to take it apart and pull it threw the speaker opening to drill the holes into that connector but once i did that it was a breeze wiring.. the pass side its all open and just use a coat hanger to fish it threw. taking out the speakers made it easier to gain access to run the wires threw along with pulling the kick panels off. if you need any help pm me as its still fresh in my head.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK cool, I was planning to put some new speakers in up front while I did the puddle lamp mirrors. Yea my footwell lights come on with the dimmer switch as well...the black w/blue stripe is an extension of the light green/orange wire that is triggered by any door opening.

So that harness in the driver door... (which I guess looks like the one coneynew took a picture of here ) is what I have to drill through? Where do I drill on it? How do you remove it and then fish the wire through? The grommet that connects to the body of the car keeps popping off on the driver's side so I guess it's a perfect time to run the wire.

I have a spool of 16 gauge wire...hopefully that is OK, or I can get some other wire...I'm out of T-Taps anyways.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
OK cool, I was planning to put some new speakers in up front while I did the puddle lamp mirrors. Yea my footwell lights come on with the dimmer switch as well...the black w/blue stripe is an extension of the light green/orange wire that is triggered by any door opening.

So that harness in the driver door... (which I guess looks like the one coneynew took a picture of here ) is what I have to drill through? Where do I drill on it? How do you remove it and then fish the wire through? The grommet that connects to the body of the car keeps popping off on the driver's side so I guess it's a perfect time to run the wire.

I have a spool of 16 gauge wire...hopefully that is OK, or I can get some other wire...I'm out of T-Taps anyways.

Thanks.
[/b]
16 ga is enough IMO. You could get away with 18 ga.

As for the chafing.. try Anti-chafe (or more commonly known as Braided Sleeving). Then Finish off the ends with Heat Shrink tubing Or Zip ties.

Thats how I do my work. :)

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Goodluck on the puddle lights! I was able to pick up spare set w/ wiring from a donor Gen IV (that had busted mirrors / housings). I have a spare Gen3 mirror housing set I am going to experiment with

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Goodluck on the puddle lights! I was able to pick up spare set w/ wiring from a donor Gen IV (that had busted mirrors / housings). I have a spare Gen3 mirror housing set I am going to experiment with
[/b]
Why bother with a G3 housing? The G4 housings are "plug and play" on a G3?

Also, BullGeek: IIRC, the green/orange wire that goes to the dome light is the always hot wire for the dome light map lights, so unless you want your puddle lights on CONSTANTLY, I don't really think you should use that... The blue/black wire is the one you want.

Also, you can use the ground for your footwell courtesy lights if you want... There is a ground just behind the kickplate on each side of the car that is great for grounding (which is probably where you tapped in your footwell lights, I know it's where I did on mine!)... And as for the drilling through the rubber gromet, I don't think that guy meant drilling through the plastic harness for the mirrors... Those harnesses sit almost in the middle of the door panel... I think he means you have to drill a hole into the rubber gasket between the outside mirror and the inside of the door behind the tweeter that the OEM wires run through...

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Mainly because I already have a spare set of TR housings and I have not been able to come across any undamaged G4 housings w/ the factory puddle lamps

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's your plan with the mirrors coneynew?

Also, BullGeek: IIRC, the green/orange wire that goes to the dome light is the always hot wire for the dome light map lights, so unless you want your puddle lights on CONSTANTLY, I don't really think you should use that... The blue/black wire is the one you want.

Also, you can use the ground for your footwell courtesy lights if you want... There is a ground just behind the kickplate on each side of the car that is great for grounding (which is probably where you tapped in your footwell lights, I know it's where I did on mine!)... And as for the drilling through the rubber gromet, I don't think that guy meant drilling through the plastic harness for the mirrors... Those harnesses sit almost in the middle of the door panel... I think he means you have to drill a hole into the rubber gasket between the outside mirror and the inside of the door behind the tweeter that the OEM wires run through...
[/b]
Ohh...that's good to know. I'll stick to the black on blue then, gracias B)

Oh yea, I am using that ground in the footwell area...so convenient and easy to use. I have my footwell, the one that was there from the factory and the auto-dim mirror all there.

I think Ryan was talking about drilling a hole in this thing (second picture on the link) http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry682385 which looks like a uh fun job.

And thanks for the ideas mediarocker. B)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Mainly because I already have a spare set of TR housings and I have not been able to come across any undamaged G4 housings w/ the factory puddle lamps
[/b][/quote]

So you want to try drilling the holes through the bottoms of the housings to make way for the lights?

Lots of new non-OEM G4 mirrors on ebay if you wanna go that route...

As I understand the ebay linking policy, you can do it only if you are ok with other people bidding on it right?

Anyways here is a link... These are heated/power/puddle lamp models.

Click Here

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Oh yea, I am using that ground in the footwell area...so convenient and easy to use. I have my footwell, the one that was there from the factory and the auto-dim mirror all there.

I think Ryan was talking about drilling a hole in this thing (second picture on the link) http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry682385 which looks like a uh fun job.

[/b][/quote]

Your car keeps getting nicer Bull Geek. When I grabbed the G4 puddle lamps from a Gen4 (I thought about modding them into the bottom of my truck doors, but I have a better set up for that, so since I had the spare G3 mirror housings, I am going to give it a shot. I like the solid color Gen 3 mirrors anyway vs the part body color, part black G4 mirrors, on my G3 anyway.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

So you want to try drilling the holes through the bottoms of the housings to make way for the lights?

Lots of new non-OEM G4 mirrors on ebay if you wanna go that route...

As I understand the ebay linking policy, you can do it only if you are ok with other people bidding on it right?

Anyways here is a link... These are heated/power/puddle lamp models.

Click Here
[/b][/quote]

Many thanks mmmfloorpie.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Oh, lol, I thought you meant the first picture of the green harness... My bad!

coney, I know whatcha mean about the black G4 mirrors... I think I like the colour keyed ones from the G3 better myself... But you can pop those covers off and paint them to match, but meh... I think the black makes them a little sportier looking... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Hah, I'm thinking the other way around.
I have the black mirror covers on our 04 SES Sport but I'm looking for the merlot color covers because I think they'll look better! :lol2:

When/if I find those covers, I'll also have an excuse to put in the mach tweeters!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have the black mirror covers on our 04 SES Sport but I'm looking for the merlot color covers because I think they'll look better! :lol2:

When/if I find those covers, I'll also have an excuse to put in the mach tweeters!!
[/b]
Just make sure you save a pair of tweeters for me!

Was Merlot a colour option on G3s? Also, did any G4s have the solid colour mirrors?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your car keeps getting nicer Bull Geek. When I grabbed the G4 puddle lamps from a Gen4 (I thought about modding them into the bottom of my truck doors, but I have a better set up for that, so since I had the spare G3 mirror housings, I am going to give it a shot. I like the solid color Gen 3 mirrors anyway vs the part body color, part black G4 mirrors, on my G3 anyway.
[/b]
Thanks B) I was looking at your garage earlier...definitely liking the OEM modding you have done to the car, especially the mudflaps...nice.

Keep us posted on your project...modding in the puddle lamps to the G3 mirrors sounds like an interesting project. If you need some dimensions, pictures, etc lemme know.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Was Merlot a colour option on G3s? Also, did any G4s have the solid colour mirrors?
[/b][/quote]
There were two red colors on the G3...the rare 1996 only Midnight Red, otherwise there was toreador red. G4s (except the export models) had the type of mirror I have...colored capped or just black plastic grain capped depending on the year/trim.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
yeah i had to drill threw that crazy plug. theres a 10 mm bolt holding it together with like two smaller 7mm i think bolts holdign it to the door frame.. but anyways i found a hole in the one side of the plug that goes to the car side and matched it up to the plug coming from the door and had to drill out the plastic in the plug. ford like puts a block off in there. basically pick 2 holes that have nothing running threw it, drill the plug and run your wire threw. really wish i would have took pictures.

and how i added my puddles to my non puddle mirrors was got a hole saw bit the same size as the puddle lamp. then drimmeled the edges of that hole and the edges of my puddle lamps so they would sit flush and look counter sunk. i ended up fusoring them in place and ran the wires in with my heated wires and so on.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts

[/b]
Are you kidding me? All those MACH units you have, plus I know I sold you a set or 2 of the MACH tweeters and covers.

As far as color for G3's in red. I now there is Toreodore Red, but wasn't there also a Dark Toredore Red for G3?

duraSEL - hopefully I'll get to the yard tomorrow albeit slightly raining. I'll see if I can get you a set of Merlot G4 covers

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Thanks Tom, appreciate your looking!
I was waiting on putting in the tweeters until I got the mirror covers.
That way I didn't have to take off the mirror and door panel area twice, especially with the weather and temps here in MI right now. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts