Which one is for you?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question.

PLEASE read up on these new systems before submitting an answer. Just because you had an Xbox 360 before or a PS3 before DOES NOT mean the next generation one will be for you!

Of course it is that way for me :p I have a PS3 and 360 though.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
PS4 for now. All depends on E3. But the VCR isn't on my list lol. If the PS4 isn't for me, the Wii U is. nice alternative.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL the VCR. I'll get the PS4, no doubt about it. May buy a Wii U too.

If the truth really is you can only link a new game to your account once then its unusable no way in hell I will buy an Xbox One.

Plus why are we going to pay an extra $50 for kinect when we won't use it!

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Too early to tell, but at this point, neither.

And used games will be playable on Xbox One.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
PS4, but I don't even know if I will get one. I don't play videogames much anymore, so it's not worth it to me right now. I was thinking about getting one, but GT6 will be on PS3, so that will tide me over for a long time, as will CoD. Then there's all of the PS2 games I still enjoy.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
Like Breeves I both Xbox and PS3 but I like Xbox I little bit more than my PS3. So I say Xbox One or as White Falcon put it the VCR

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hell I still play PS1 and PS2 games. Do not have a PS3, got a 360 instead last year.

I don't want to think about a new counsel for many years.

·
Registered
728 Posts
From my standpoint, I would be undecided. From what I've seen of the Xbox 1, I prefer the older system.

I got into the games because I wanted to understand how they affect learning; which sometimes I use the games themselves as learning tools.

I work a lot with kids with Autism, and they tend to be very good at the games. There are games that I have that use the Kinect to require them to interact with others and this teaches them interaction skills, which they tend to lack. These kids are smart (their IQ tends to be above 125, and their memory is excellent) and they learn best by memorizing everything.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Uhh, I'll keep my 360, PS3, Wii, and GameCube for now. Already have the DirecTV Genie, so I don't need another cable box/dvr (Xbox one), and PS4 will likely be far too overpriced. Wii U? What a joke.

I don't game enough anymore to even justify them. I am thinking about grabbing one of each on launch and selling them on FleaBay for a profit though.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Console "gaming"
*snicker snicker*
What's that? Your drivers are out of date? Oh, bummer. Oh no, that GPU just won't do. Time to shell out for a new one! But wait, now you need a new PSU...and chances are you'll use a gamepad anyway.

I don't think the PS4 will be as expensive as most think. Sony has very little investment into the system-it's all off the shelf parts. Most expensive component will be the 8GB of GDDR5 (you read that correctly), and that stuff will get cheap fast. Besides, thanks to the gamble of waiting and hoping they could get that much GDDR5 (change only happened in Feb, surprising even the devs!), the PS4 has (this is a Digital Foundry number, not just smoke) 50% more raw GPU power than the One, despite having similar GPU's. It's because MS designed the system around 8GB of RAM from the start, but with the DDR3 spec. If Sony had been forced to use 4GB, Microsoft would have won, but Sony's gamble paid off.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Console gaming is a much more level playing field because everyone's got the same box. Ok, maybe refresh rates on the TV or monitor are different, but overall it comes down to skill, not money spend on peripherals and computer hardware.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I love computer gaming for the mods and such, but the downfalls are obviously simple.

1.) Can't invite friends over to "play" with you on the PC.

2.) Graphics are good, but getting them good is expensive.

3.) Latency. It seems like no matter where I go, what service I get, or what network setup I have, there's always lag of some kind on online games.

4.) Hackers. People who have unfair advantages in online games just to ruin the fun of others.

I have not gone online with my Xbox yet so I can't really compare the two, I just assume there are not hackers [in numbers] like on PC games.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Hackers are seldom on Xbox now. They were big on Modern Warfare 2, but they have since patched it. I hacked mine and got all the achievements, guns, levels, etc, and the mods were so much fun to play with. Modded lobbies they were called. You can buy modded controllers for Xbox, so you can fully auto pistols and stuff. They are expensive so most people don't have them.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,009 Posts
Hackers are seldom on Xbox now. They were big on Modern Warfare 2, but they have since patched it. I hacked mine and got all the achievements, guns, levels, etc, and the mods were so much fun to play with. Modded lobbies they were called. You can buy modded controllers for Xbox, so you can fully auto pistols and stuff. They are expensive so most people don't have them.

Plus, if Microsoft discovers funny business they ban your console until the year 9999.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Yeah, they only really banned the JTAGGED Xboxes back in the modern warfare 2 days. Everyone else was ok.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Obviously you can tell I'm a PC enthusiast, however consoles (mainly the controller) do have an edge on PCs in SOME games. Action button mashers (Kingdom Hearts) are done better on a control and fighters are done better with an arcade stick, I tried playing Kingdom Hearts on a keyboard for lols and it was pretty awful but doable. However, an FPS on a console is atrocious. Having to have you hand held with aim assist is terrible; you have to stop aiming to reload/jump/etc, and the aiming (analog sticks) is awful. It's funny that companies provide those stick elongation things to quote, "get as close as a mouse feel as possible." There are even products to use a mouse on a console, why not just play an FPS on a PC? Hands down keyboard/mouse > a control except for certain games where a control or another device, such as a driving wheel.

Not being to play split screen on a PC? Most console games are done over Live now anyway, and LAN is the way to do multiplayer anyway :D

It's unfortunate that PC games have to be "down scaled" to spec so that a console can struggle with it, Battlefield 3 I'm talking to you. The main reason that developers do this anyway is to make console sales possible, whereas the superior machine has to suffer.

PC parts too expensive? Drivers an issue? That's hardly the case. With my E8400 processor (overclocked to 3.6 GHZ) and my nvidia 460 GTX (also overclocked) I was able to run Battlefield 3 at max settings, the resolution was 1440x900 due to my monitor, at 60fps with no slow down. Borderlands 2 was maxed out with hardly any slow downs. Meanwhile both console versions had jaggies all over the place AND the BF3 version had an additional "graphics upgrade" DLC, seriously.

Latency? You're going to have that on console gaming as well unless you're doing everything on LAN.

Hackers (Cheaters since most hackers are just script kiddies running a program) are on consoles too so it's not a PC exclusive thing.

Graphics being an issue? I bought my E8400 processor back in 2008 and had some old 9600GT GPU. I could max Source engine games (HL2, TF2, Left 4 Dead) with ease and nearly max out (read: better then console graphics) other modern day games. I finally bought a 460GTX in 2011 ($150 at the time?) and currently I'm maxing out modern day games such as BF3 no problem. Not to mention most, if not all and I could be wrong on this one, consoles games (PS3 and X360) don't even render at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (720p/1080p) resolutions. They render at some smaller resolution and then get upscaled to match whatever you monitor can handle while I can rock out to a true HD display. Those amazing graphics that were displayed during the press release for the X1? Yeah those were prerendered cut scenes. I have a PS2 emulator running at 3072x2688 (six times native resolution) and full antialiasing and those prerendered cutscenes look just as good as those cutscenes for the X1. Not to mention that the PS2 ran games at 60fps to start with.

Back to peripherals. Consoles have accessories to give you an "edge" over your opponents. Those stick enhances (FPS freak I think?) and headphones directed towards consoles. So, no, not everyone is on a level playing field. Plus, you can't even use Track IR on a console.

Now you may ask do I even own a console? Why yes, I do, I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360. What do I use those consoles for? I use my PS3 as a bluray player and a media station when I stream content from my computer to my HDTV. The 360 was given to me and I've played one game on it so far and that was Zone of the Enders HD.

Unfortunately, consoles will never be on par with PC gaming. The only way they could be is if a console comes out with removable and upgradeable hardware.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A big thing with gpu output is resolution. It takes a LOT more power to output at 1920x1080 than it does to output at 1280x1024.

My gtx 560 can run most games at full settings. A few open world games (gta 4 or x-plane 10) it can't due to only 1gb VRAM. Xplane is a different story because that game can take 3 GTX Titans and utilize all of it. I run games at 2048x1152 on my 23" monitor.

Bradley, GDDR5 is insanely expensive to run as system memory. The PS3 uses XDR RAM clocked at 3.2GHz...

As someone that has both console and pc games and a PC that can handle high graphics games (core i7 2600k @4.6GHz), Iike console games better in many aspects. FPS's you don't need to be babied by the auto aim if you know what you are doing. It takes practice. You all have a mostly equal chance depending on your skills. I don't like sitting hunched over a computer with a keyboard and mouse... I like laying back and relaxing.

Now for other types of games I disagree that consoles are better. Racing games are much better on my computer. I can output to my TV, in 3D, in full 1080p where as the consoles can't do that due to hardware limitations. Same thing with plane flying games. Love x-plane on the computer.

I play a lot of single player games on the computer because I get them for free.... Otherwise I would probably not. Sims, and other games like that are so stupid on consoles. However FPS's and some RPG's are great on consoles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 46 Posts