Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to replace the seal due to leakage. Pump is quiet and due to other's experience I decided to keep the pump and replace the seal.

Bought a puller installer from AutoZone for ~$30. Seal was about $7.

Removing the pump from the DOHC is not as easy as it looks. The high pressure fitting was really tight and hard to get to. Pulling the pulley went well, pulling the seal went just fine. Pic attached. Now one thing to rememver if you do this. There is rust on the shaft just outside the seal. So once upon a time it was very dry of oil. I used 400G silicon carbide paper and wet sanded the rust area, turning the shaft with an allen wrench. Clean with Q-Tips seal area and wiped the shaft with grease. Put seal on with a deep wall socket and hammer.

Putting the pulley back on was harder than taking it off but it was just work, one pull at a time.

Oh yes, pulling it off was done with a electric impact wrench. Too much work hand cranking for this old coot.

Putting it back on the car tomorrow.

Anyone with questions, please ask. And suggestions for the next time.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Good job, Chart!

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done

Good job, Chart!
Thanks for your support.

And from someone on a post here, the idea to start it up run a few seconds, stop, suck the foam fluid out, and replace with new, do it again. That works good. Quiet, no leaks.

As to seal pulling with a sheet metal screw: I remember back as a kid, seeing my dad do this on farm equipment and lawn mowers. Usually they got string or wire wrapped and ruined a seal. Also remember him cleaning rust and/or paint off the shaft before installing a new seal.

Farmers had to "make do" back in the day. Bailing wire, binder twine and such.

Have a nice weekend.

I went to the Old Timers Show at our local fair grounds this am. I fit right in. (age wise)

-chart-

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duct Tape

Dont forget duct tape, lol!
I did not forget. Someone suggested a socket size, that I had and it was two diameters, so I rolled the ring from the smaller to the larger OD and DUCT TAPE to get it across the threads.

So, I am putting other's suggestions to work. So, I take a few suggestions, and give a few suggestions.

Have a nice weekend.

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts