Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like whenever someone wants to give me a jump, they want to keep their car's engine running when I crank mine. Why? If the battery is fully charged, what's the point of having the donor car's engine running?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It'll actually make a difference. Especially if you'r trying to start something way bigger than a Taurus. With the battery, you have around 12v at best, with the engine running at slightly higher rpm, you should have around 14v.

My halfassed jump start method:

Park the cars together
Separate the jumper ends
Attach jumpers to dead car
Attach jumpers to good car
Start the working car and rev to 2000 RPMs
Turn over the other car

Works most of the time. I also take batteries out of cars to carry over to the vehicle, that's helpful if you can't get a car next to it, but it doesn't always work.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
Attach red clamp to + post of good batt. Attach other red clamp to + post of dead batt. Attach black clamp to - post of good batt. Attach other black clamp to a grounded bolt, nut or metal object on the engine with the dead batt. as far away from batt. as convenient. Start car with good batt. Start car with bad batt. Also, avoid touching doors, bumpers, etc. with the 2 cars during the jump-start procedure.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Also, by leaving the car that's doing the jumping running, it'll actually charge the dead car's battery. Hook jumper cables to a flat, dead battery and listen for the alternator to kick in and bring the running car's idle down.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Attach red clamp to + post of good batt. Attach other red clamp to + post of dead batt. Attach black clamp to - post of good batt. Attach other black clamp to a grounded bolt, nut or metal object on the engine with the dead batt. as far away from batt. as convenient. Start car with good batt. Start car with bad batt. Also, avoid touching doors, bumpers, etc. with the 2 cars during the jump-start procedure.
2nd that

NEVER attach both cables to one car prior to doing the other car, you risk a short - do both 'reds' first

·
Registered
95 Posts
Based on the radio show "Nuts and Bolts" a jump should be done as follows:
  1. park the cars within cable distance and turn off the "donor".
  2. connect to the donor's battery (mind the cable ends!)
  3. connect the red to the + of the dead car
  4. connect the black away from the battery on the dead car to avoid igniting hydrogen w/ a spark
  5. start the donor car
  6. let it run for 7 to 10 minutes to charge the dead battery
  7. shut down the donor
  8. disconnect the cables in reverse order of hookup
  9. start the dead car
The reason: starting the dead car while the donor is still hooked up risks sending a voltage spike through the electrical system and frying the computer. Worse yet, the cooked (or semi-cooked) circuit in your computer may not show up right away. Can you say phantom electrical problem? I knew you could. Although car computers have gotten a lot cheaper, I have no desire to replace mine unnecessarily.

This procedure is from a few years ago, so things may have changed, but I doubt it. I can say with certainty that if I'm providing a jump it will be done this way or no way.;)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on the radio show "Nuts and Bolts" a jump should be done as follows:
  1. park the cars within cable distance and turn off the "donor".
  2. connect to the donor's battery (mind the cable ends!)
  3. connect the red to the + of the dead car
  4. connect the black away from the battery on the dead car to avoid igniting hydrogen w/ a spark
  5. start the donor car
  6. let it run for 7 to 10 minutes to charge the dead battery
  7. shut down the donor
  8. disconnect the cables in reverse order of hookup
  9. start the dead car
The reason: starting the dead car while the donor is still hooked up risks sending a voltage spike through the electrical system and frying the computer.
It's recommended to turn on the AC on the dead car before starting it to avoid the last problem.

But yes, it's an interesting way of doing things. The only problem I see with it is that it may take a while to charge the dead battery, esp in cold weather.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's recommended to turn on the AC on the dead car before starting it to avoid the last problem [voltage spike causing potential damage].

But yes, it's an interesting way of doing things. The only problem I see with it is that it may take a while to charge the dead battery, esp in cold weather.
I takes 7 to 10 minutes. When a friend of mine had his battery drained a couple of weeks ago the temp was in the teens and 10 minutes of charge from my car was plenty.

As for starting the AC to prevent a voltage spike; I presume the idea is to "absorb" the spike with the power draw from the AC. I don't believe it. It sounds like something made up by someone unwilling to wait for the battery to charge.

You are free to cross your fingers and tell the guy driving the junker to turn on the AC to protect your electrical system.

OTOH, I can tell you with certainty that a voltage spike cannot get to my car through disconnected jumper cables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.