Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Wagon with a CD Changer in the rear cargo area.
I do not use the car much, and while I try to keep the battery charged, sometimes it goes flat.

The last time this happened, I charged the battery and reinstalled it. When I went to use the CD Changer, I was getting a CD error.
I tried to eject the CD Cassette holder and it would not eject. I disassembled the changer, and as has been previously described on the forum, there were 2 CDs jammed half way into the player mechanism. I was able to remove them and the player now works.

It does raise the question of how should you leave the CD player if you are not going to use the vehicle for a while.
I could go to the rear and eject the cassette, but hey, I'm lazy!

Is there a way to unload the currently playing CD from the player mechanism back into the CD Cassette? Does the changer automatically do this if you turn off the Stereo, or does it leave the loaded CD in the player mechanism?

Oh, and I'm old so I don't want to replace the CD Player with an mp3 player, streaming device, or what have you. I like old technology.

On a side note, once I removed the stuck CDs, I loaded a single CD into the cassette slot #2. When I inserted the cassette, the stereo did not read the CD slot 2.
I would assume that the player starts reading the cassette holder at slot #1 and when it sees nothing, it does not try any of the other Slots. I inserted the same CD into slot #1 and it was read correctly. I loaded a total of 4 CDs and they were all read and played. I have not currently tried filling different combinations of slots to see if what I saw was a random fluke, or should I be loading from Slot #1 sequentially up and not skipping slots. Any comments?

Thanks and regards

Dale

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,078 Posts
You’re correct that the only way to get the CD changer to return the disc is to hit the eject button, otherwise it just leaves the last tray in place to reduce wear.

As for the second question, it should be skipping the first one if empty and proceeding to the next occupied disc slot.

Reactions: Jeff K

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you White Falcon,

I will eject the magazine for extended shut down periods.

I went back and inserted different combinations of CDs into the magazine and indeed it behaved exactly as you described.
I'm not sure why I had issues initially loading the cassette after extracting the CDs.
Probably brain fog!

Regards

Dale

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1999 Wagon with a CD Changer in the rear cargo area.
I do not use the car much, and while I try to keep the battery charged, sometimes it goes flat.
Without addressing directly your question about CD changers running your battery down, nobody has seemed to approach this from the other end. I have a motorcycle, boat, Taurus, and Ranger. I am also the only one who operates any of them. Since my truck is by far the most used vehicle I own, the others can go weeks or months between use. None of them ever fails me when I go to start them though. How?

I have a battery maintainer on each of them using the permanent ring connector bolted down directly onto their battery posts. A little pigtail sticks out from the front of the engine compartment a couple of inches so I never have to raise the hood to connect them.

A maintained battery will typically last for 7-8 years before it no longer will reliably start my engines. The car, truck, and motorcycle are all kept in the garage but the boat is out in the driveway where I use a long 12 volt extension cord so there's no danger of getting shocked when it rains.

Camera accessory Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Font Auto part

These are available for a little over $30 at most auto parts stores as well as Amazon and Walmart. And a 12 foot long extension cord is about $10 from the same sources. I don't know what length is too long but I do know 25 feet is perfectly acceptable.

Cable Magenta Wire Electric blue Font

While this doesn't fix your CD changer issue, it will take care of having to suffer dead batteries because of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have picked up a battery minder and am going to keep the battery topped up.
My Taurus is parked outside so I have to run an extension cord outside. I have hesitated to do this, aside from being lazy, I have been worried about electrical safety.
Oh, and I don't think that the audio system drew an excessive amount of power and caused the flat battery. It was strictly my fault.
The Taurus is the car I have as my retirement car. I have maybe 2 years left before I retire and I want one that is not too complex. Modern cars do not excite me at all, and their long term reliability is suspect. As a result, I don't have the car licensed yet. It is difficult to keep the battery topped up.

Dale

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
8 Posts
My Taurus is parked outside so I have to run an extension cord outside. I have hesitated to do this, aside from being lazy, I have been worried about electrical safety.
Extension cord the 12v side - you can get bulk outdoors-rated 12v cord at the big box home improvement store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts