Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1995 Taurus 3.0 from the auction. Heres my problem: Wipers will make 1 wipe if I turn the switch to the HIGH position, but then thats it. I have to keep going back and forth with the switch from OFF to HIGH to get the wipers to wipe. Also the HORN don't work. All turn signals and everything else is fine. The fuses are fine too as well as the circuit fuses under the hood. Would this be my Multifunction Switch possibly??? Do I have to take the steering wheel off to replace the MFS???

One last thing: The FUSE BOX under the drivers side of the dash, it's kinda small. Is there another fuse box inside the car I am not seeing? I know the one under the hood, those look fine, but the one under the dash just seems like it does not have as many fuse slots as most cars.

I'll also add that the rear windows don't go up or down, neither by the front master switch, or by each door switch.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Well,

I can help you with some of your problems. When I bought my car the wipers only worked if I had the left turn signal on. In my case it was the MFS.

If your problem is the multi-function switch (and it might be) you do not have to take off the wheel. Take off the steering column covers right behind the wheel, 3 screws underneath will get the bottom peice off. Now you have to remove the ignition cylinder to get the top piece off. Look on the bottom of the cylinder and you will see a "button" you need to press (use a nail punch or something like that) . With that button pressed, turn the key (not as far as you need to start the car though) and pull, the whole thing will come out as one unit. Take the top cover off, unplug MF switch and unscrew from the column.

No other fuse boxes.

I had the same problem w/my rear windows. When they don't get used they seize up. I fixed one by removing the ash tray, unplugging window motor and hooking it up to a 18V craftsman drill battery, that unseized it (more power to it I guess). This did not work w/the other window. So I took the door panel off, removed the motor (3 bolts, if I remember correctly), pulled the top off the motor, rotated the motor by hand, put it back together and it worked. If you do that, be carefull not too loose a little ball bearing inside the motor.

Lastly, I also recommend a tune up, plugs, wires, cap rotor - I went from 13mpg around town to 18 after doing one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

I found a MFS used on ebay for pretty cheap $20 w/ shipping. I'll try replacing that. I just noticed the hazard button when pushed will only illuminate the left signal arrow, but wont flash or anything.

So I am thinking that's gotta be what it is. As far as the rear windows, I think I'll just let them go. I usually drive alone anyways.

Thanks for your input and advice, it was very helpful especially now knowing about the key cylinder and how to remove it. :)

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Thank you!

I found a MFS used on ebay for pretty cheap $20 w/ shipping. I'll try replacing that. I just noticed the hazard button when pushed will only illuminate the left signal arrow, but wont flash or anything.

So I am thinking that's gotta be what it is. As far as the rear windows, I think I'll just let them go. I usually drive alone anyways.

Thanks for your input and advice, it was very helpful especially now knowing about the key cylinder and how to remove it. :)
[/b]

No problem!

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I got a used one and it was fine. That being said, Qwerts 9586 has a point - you're taking a chance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little update for those who may have had the same problem:

Just got a MFS from the salvage yard, took about 20 minutes to install (total time).
It fixed my wiper problem, now my wipers and my washer fluid works perfectly. Also my hazards work now. It did not fix the horn though.
Thanks for all your input on this subject. :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The MFS has nothing to do with the horn. Does your cruise control work?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MFS has nothing to do with the horn. Does your cruise control work?
[/b]
Yeah the cruise has always worked fine, but the little "cruise" light does not come on on the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the cruise light does not come on it is either burnt out or the servo control module is bad. The module is on the drivers side strut tower where the cruise control throttle cable is come out of it. Look to see if there is 12V+ on the Orange/Light Blue wire coming out of it when the cruise switch is pushed and the key is on.

As far as the horn, could be a fuse, relay or the horns themselves could be bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had much the same issue with my wipers. I have a 94 SHO. I went to the local auto wrecker yard a found one that looked new. Pulled it and replaced mine. Problem solved and the cost was about $12.50. Obviously if you decide on a used part, don't grab the first one you find.

My 96 Sable had a problem with the horn that was also connected to the cruise. Had to get a part replaced under the dash (on the steering column I believe). As I recall there was an overheating issue with this part, so they put in the updated part. Sorry I cannot tell you what the part was, as I don't remember right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts