Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the dealer Friday morning for a coolant flush. Ever since, I have noticed that my headlights and interior lights dim when adding a new electrical draw (turn on heat, use power windows or locks), and also my horn seems week. Almost like it is not getting full power.

They did do a 10 point inspection or something like that and tested the charging system as well which tested good. I am about to go back over to the dealer on my lunch hour unless there is something I can check quick?....

It is so frustrating when you have more problems after you leave than when you came in.
Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Registered
47 Posts
my guess is that they left/made a wire loose on the alternator or battery.

or they spilled coolant all over the alternator and cooked it and now you are running off the battery

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the loose wire, but I dont think they spilled coolant all over the alternator because it is nowhere neer the coolant tank, and it has been like this since last week. If I was running all on battery the battery light would have come on and/or my car would have died by now.

I will check the wires though.

or they spilled coolant all over the alternator and cooked it and now you are running off the battery
[/b]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not always the case. Some times it will slowly drain the battery because its only half cooked or on its way out. It could be your battery causing a load as well ?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'd guess they left a bad connection when testing the charging system, tho i dunno how. The equipment i use to test the charging system doesn't require me to disconnect anything, but maybe they use a different method. Anyway, i'd head back over there and tell them what's up, and make them figure it out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Maybe the loose wire, but I dont think they spilled coolant all over the alternator because it is nowhere neer the coolant tank, and it has been like this since last week. If I was running all on battery the battery light would have come on and/or my car would have died by now.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The coolant resivoir is right next to the alternator??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The coolant resivoir is right next to the alternator??
[/b][/quote]

i was a bit confused as well after reading that.

Anyway, Im going to stop by the dealer today to pick up some touch-up paint so I am going to stop by the service department and see whats going on. I really hate it when your car has more problems coming out then it did coming in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I never ever said the the coolant tank was next to the alternator!

I dont know every configuration of taurus engines.

All I know is that when your cooling system is flushed many different shops will do this many different ways including removing rad hoses and spilling coolant everywhere.

I was just being general.

As mentioned before you it sounds like you have a alternator going out slowly and happen to have a good battery.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never ever said the the coolant tank was next to the alternator!

I dont know every configuration of taurus engines.

All I know is that when your cooling system is flushed many different shops will do this many different ways including removing rad hoses and spilling coolant everywhere.

I was just being general.

As mentioned before you it sounds like you have a alternator going out slowly and happen to have a good battery.
[/b]

Only confusing thing though is that my alternator tested good when I took it in.

I took the car back to the dealer and they tryed to deny everything.
I think I will have to take the car somewhere this weekend to have the charging system checked for a second opinion.
Disappointing because I thought the dealer I went to was Ok until the experience I just had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts