Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2004, 3.0 vulcan.

I recently replaced the AC clutch and it was great keeping cool all summer!

Only problem now is whenever the AC clutch is engaged (every heating/cooling function except vent and off) there is a grinding noise when I turn left. Is it possible my subframe is out of whack after reinstalling it? We dropped the passenger side but didn't have enough room to work so we dropped the driver side too. It was a PITA to reinstalled. Coincidentally my washer fluid won't spray anymore so I think I may have also busted or disconnected a washer fluid line in the process.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Thanks.
-Joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a grinding noise when turning right after my a/c clutch job. I traced it to a bent brake shield rubbing against the rotor.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
be careful with the washer fluid line. one of the members here had a broken one and it squirted the alt and fried it out.
it is possible fro the frame to be out of alignment. normally when it is after a drop the steering would be out of alignment also. if the steering didnt change more then likely you got it in the right place putting it back up.
does the grinding only occur when the a/c is on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The grinding only occurs when making a hard left and the compressor is engaged (AC, defroster, etc)

the steering was off enough to require minimal adjustment when i took it for quarterly oil change, alignment, rotation, but not enough that i noticed anything with the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i would try to reproduce the noise while parked. pop the hood and have someone crank the wheel all the way left. if you dont have the noise while parked then its something shifting under g force movement.
with the engine off push/pull on a/c clutch and check for excess movement. if there is too much movement its possible the air gap isnt enough and causing rubbing while engaged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I'll give those things a try when I get home tonight. I hope it's not the clutch coming loose. we tried 3 different configurations of spacers to get the air gap within spec.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after work yesterday I attempted to recreate the noise while parked. Nothing happened. So I drove home with the AC on, radio off, windows down. I made every left turn that I could as hard as I could. I could not get the noise to come back. I haven't used the compressor in a few weeks. Maybe whatever issue it was has worked itself out.

Thanks for your help. If the noise comes back I'll have a few things to try and see what is causing it.

Thanks.
-Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts