Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used trunk CD changer about 6 months ago. Today I finally got around to installing it and I have a problem.

I ejected the magazine to load it but now it will not latch back in place. I'm 99% sure I am installing the magazine the correct way.

I took the changer back out of the car but now I'm wondering does it need a power source to lock the magazine in place?

The Changer manufacture date is December 1995 and the magazine part number is F6Df-18C833-AB. Is this the correct magazine?

I'm installing this in a 2001 Taurus.

Any ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Magazine should not need power source to lock, the slot near the opening for a pin hole will release the magazine w/o power.

Those changers have not been known to be the most reliable...may need to remove it and dissassemble to check the ejector/locking mechanism to see if a spring has come off, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How were u able to mount it in a 01 since that is a gen 3 era changer, i am doing the similar project and i found out that the changer does not fit in my 02, ford changed the mounting brackets.
Did u get lucky and find brackets or are you wiring it to the center console, if so could you point me in the right direction of how to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You can interchange the mounting brackets to make it work between the Gens.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
The screws you used to hold the changer in place may be too long. Take it loose again, remove the brackets and then try it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your reply. Looks like I will need to take this thing apart. I just plugged in the wiring harness and then ejected the magazine for a test run before installing the mounting brackets. After the eject it would not latch back in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this same issue with my 1996 Mercury Sable. The magazine in the trunk would not latch when I tried inserting the CD magazine into the housing.

After closer inspection, I noticed the bottom side of the magazine popped out of place with regards to the sides of the magazine. I don't understand how it could have happened but the bottom plastic panel seperated from the other sides of the magazine and two small tabs were exposed. The dislodged bottom panel made the magazine about 1/16" longer and it couldn't engage the locking mechanism in the unit. I had to cut away one tab (would not easily snap back into place) with a razor blade and was able to snap the second tab back so the panel was flush again. It works fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts