Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just recently got an MP3 player installed in my '99 Taurus and ever since then my rear defrost doesn't work. I looked around the 'net and was forwarded to this message board so hopefully some of the experts here can help me out.

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about cars or car audio so I'm going to try and explain the situation as best as I can.

Last week I went to a local car audio place and I got a pioneer 4600 installed into my '99 Taurus. The unit itself and the climate controls work fine, but the rear defrost is dead. I took my car back today to have it checked out and after the technician worked on it for an hour and a half he came out and told me that he wasn't able to get the rear defrost working with the installation kit.

I can't remember his exact words but I think he told me something along the lines of my rear defrost and radio feed off 1 wire and the kit has 2 separate wires, or the rear defrost and radio feed off 2 wires and the kit only has one (that's about as close as I can come to his description).

Does anyone know if it's possible to get my rear defrost working without having to put back the original radio? I really don't think the technician was giving me the run around and trying to screw me over, but maybe you guys can think of something that he didn't.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
They are retards

This is a common problem with the aftermarket kits. Better yet...have them call my cell... Ask for brad. If they are not competent enough to install one, id be glad to explain. (i do this for a living)

It take 2 sec.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jun 29 2004, 07:48 PM
They are retards

This is a common problem with the aftermarket kits.  If they are not competent enough to install one, id be glad to explain. (i do this for a living)

It take 2 sec.

Brad
So what is the problem with my defrost, if I popped the radio out is there something specific that I should look for? Is this something that you could possibly walk me through?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
just ground the black wire comming from the defrost swich to the big bar right behind the radio. Id go back to the shop and demand my money back to fix such a simple problem.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the risk of sounding like a complete fool (too late, I know) how would I go about grounding the wire? All in all I've spent probably 4 or 5 hours already at the shop between the inital install and the 2nd attempt to get it right so I'm trying to avoid going back at all costs.

When I get home from work I can pop the radio out and see if I can get the rear defrost working.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you will see the black wire....cut it. Now take the side that goes to the switch, use another piece of wire to extend it a few inches. But a connector at the end and screw the connector to the frame rail behind the radio. This needs to be a GOOD ground, so id reccomend taking back if you dont have the right tools

Brad

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There is a huge squarish metal bar that runs across the dash, about 16" from the dash kit. Drill a hole into that bar, sand the edges to remove any paint, use a butt connector to connect a piece of wire to the ground coming off the back of the defroster, use a ring terminal on the other side of the wire. Use an appropriate screw to attach the ring terminal to the bar, using the pre-drilled hole.

JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I probably have the necessary equipment or I could get it, but it sounds like this is best left to the pro's. I guess I'll give them a call or swing by the shop someday after work and have them give it another shot.

So the rear defrost not being grounded is the only thing that could be causing this problem, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
not the only problem that could arise....but in install these kits all the time and 1/3 of them need to be seperatly grounded. Fixes the problem every time.

Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts