Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. Don't actually own a Taurus (I own a Ranger). But heres the deal.

My friends car is a 2002 3.0 OHV. I recently changed the spark plugs. I didn't even think about removing the cowl. But here is my steps.

Replaced front three spark plugs (Motorcraft) and wires (Borg Warner).
*added anti-seize and dielectric grease...gapped to 0.044
Removed air intake tube, egr, various vacum lines.
Removed upper plenum.
(ended up breaking nipples on DPFE when taking off intake plenum, replaced with metal one from a previous year, from pull-a-part).
Replaced back three spark plugs and wires.
Put plenum back on and connected everything back (I'm about 70% sure everything).

Turn engine over and it runs like crap. Hardly any power and feels like its gonna die. I check plugs for firing and they seemed right.

I didn't replace the plenum gasket because it didn't look bad....this may have been a mistake.

Engine code was thrown and it said the engine was running lean.

Checked vacuum lines. Two on intake tube, two on throttle body, one on passenger side. I could have forgot one.

Anyone got any suggestions? Ask me anything about what I did and I am more than willing to tell you the truth. I'd rather be embarrassed than have my friend have a crappy running engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To state the obvious, I'd say it was a vac. leak. Try spraying carb cleaner lightly around the possible leak sites and watch for any changes in engine idle, assuming the engine will even idle.; but, my guess its near the PCV system.Also, re-check the plug wires for proper routing and tight connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To state the obvious, I'd say it was a vac. leak. Try spraying carb cleaner lightly around the possible leak sites and watch for any changes in engine idle, assuming the engine will even idle.; but, my guess its near the PCV system.Also, re-check the plug wires for proper routing and tight connections.
Tried with starting fluid.....no changes. BTW engine idles at 2100 rpms now. Took plenum off again tonight just to be sure of everything. Put back together, checked wires for like the 5th time. Everything seems legit.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I would try a new plenum gasket. Also I'd go over each vacuum line to make sure they're fitted on properly and they haven't been damaged possibly while removing the plenum.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree, those gaskets sometime start leaking just because they get old, so removing and reinstalling it is quite likely to trigger a leak.

People, please stop recommending the starter fluid method until you yourselves learn how to use it. The test is worthless without a friend with a scantool is monitoring the STFT while you spray, and you will look for a change in the fuel trim. The will be no change in RPM because the computer will compensate.

From the high RPM, it really does sound like you have a major vacuum leak. I would recheck all the hoses make sure they are hooked up where they go, including the breather hoses which connect to the intake tube. Are there any codes?

·
Registered
587 Posts
make sure the wires are going to the correct plugs. find a firing order diagram and have at it. just a free suggestion besides the plenum gasket. ya on my fiero the intake gasket is known to raise the rpms to 3000 or even 4000 rpms because of sucking air in. also the carb cleaner you will hear it slow down and idle right if carb clean is used it non flammable but will burn off instead of raising rpms with starting fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts